Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Intelligence (Analytics)
MS Word advanced formatting issues
vso
Hi!
I'm currently developing a custom report for our company and one of the requirements is that it should look more or less the same in *.pdf and *.doc formats. This is multipage report with lots of elements and formatting. By using styles (or simply advanced properties) I can create design that looks good in *.pdf file, but in generated word document all formatting seems to be lost. Padding, margins, multiple master pages swapping are completely ignored, furthemore outside the preview even page breaks are ignored. So, my question is, does BIRT (I'm using 2.3.0, also tried 2.3.1) support mentioned properties for *.doc output format and is there any specific requirements to use them?
thanks in advance
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
mwilliams
Hi vso,<br />
<br />
I ran a BIRT 2.3.1 report with padding, page break, and margins set, in Word format, saving it. When I opened it, the page break and margins were what I had set them to but the padding didn't show as expected. The padding thing definitely sounds like a bug with the Word emitter. You can log a bug for your issues with the emitter at <a class='bbc_url' href='
http://www.eclipse.org/birt/phoenix/reportabug.php'>BIRT
: Reporting Bugs and Requesting Enhancements</a>.
vso
Hi Michael,
Thanks for the reply.
I've tried to play around with template and our report generation process. Unfortunately, I still can't get formatting to work but I've noticed one thing: in our generator we use 2-step process - we create *.rptdocument with IRunTask and then run several IRenderTask (for each required format) on it.
When I changed this process to use IRunAndRenderTask's for generation I managed to get page break working (unfortunately margins and multiple master pages didn't work at all)
I've uploaded part of the template (created with BIRT 2.3.0 designer integrated into eclipse) and the resulting word document. Could you please take a look at them.
thanks in advance
Mr.Reed
Hello,
i am having the same issue (padding is ignored, when generating document as word. I am using Birt 3.7.0. Meanwhile, is there a solution (i.e. bug solved?)?
Thanks in advance.
cscott
Hey, just wanted to chime in and say I'm experiencing the same problem using Actuate BIRT Designer Professional (v11.0.3) using BIRT 2.6.3.
ivorst
Hello,
I also have the same problem in MS Word with incorrect page breaks, when I use IRunTask and IRenderTask separately. When I use a combined IRunAndRenderTask the page breaks are correct. Thank you, vso, for the tip! But can somebody explain me why this fixes the problem?
Also, the issue with incorrect padding and margins still seems to occur... Sometimes the text in Word is not displayed fully because of some padding. I am using BIRT 3.7.2. Any ideas about solving that?
Thanks in advance!
mwilliams
Could one of you create a report with the sample database that has all the issues you're having, so I can run it and take a look? Thanks!
All2004
<p>I'm facing the same problem.</p><p>Any idea ?</p>
Amogh Rao
<p>I am also facing the same problem</p>