Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Intelligence (Analytics)
Odd Page Breaks on two column report
UtahJerry
I have created a two column report and I am getting very strange and inconsistent page breaks. I laid out the report with a two column 1 row Grid, then inserted a one column, multi-row Grid in each of the columns of the outer Grid. I then inserted a Table in each of the rows of the inner Grids to populate the report with the data I need to display. Table 1 (Inner Grid Column 1) prints a full page on page one, 1/2 of page 2, prints nothing on page3, and finishes on page 4. Table 1 (inner Grid Column 2) prints completly on Page 1 and Table 2 begins to print. Table 2, Grid Column 2 finishes on page 2 and Table 3 starts. Table 3 and Table 4 (Grid Column 2) finish printing on page 3. Table 1 and Table 2 (Inner Grid Column 1) printi on page 4. Table 2 and 3 (Inner Grid Column 1) finish printing on page 5.
Can someone help me understand the page overflow logic or suggest a better structure for a two column report?
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
mwilliams
Hi jasheets,
Just a few questions for you. What version of BIRT are you using? What output is this in? All or just PDF? Are the two columns displaying the same types of data (the same fields) but you just want them in 2 columns? Can you include screenshots of your ran report and attach the report design? The best would be if you could recreate this with the sample database and attach that report so I can run it, but your design and screenshots will at least give me a better idea of what's going on.
UtahJerry
I am running BIRT 2.3.1 and iServer Express 10. The report looks OK in preview, but not when rendered to either PDF or DOC format (the only ones I've tried). I have attached the report as both the PDF and DOC versions of the report, my rptdesign, and the actual data from the queries.
The report shows project summary information with the 1st column showing Payments, amounts in the bank Escrow account and the amount released to the contractor. The 2nd column shows the initial contract award and any adjustments to the award, and all of the change orders issued.
There are a couple of errors at the end of the design, but I am still trying to sort out how to best sumarize the columns and these errors are related to the global variables I am trying to use to capture the totals of each of the sub-sets of data.
Thanks, Jerry
mwilliams
Jerry,<br />
<br />
I put your data into flat file databases and replaced your dataSets and ran the report. I got the same results as you no matter how I laid out the report. This is definitely a bug. You can search the bugs <a class='bbc_url' href='
http://www.eclipse.org/birt/phoenix/reportabug.php'>here</a>
. If you don't find a matching bug in a quick search, please file a bug for this. Be sure to include the pdf, report design, and data like you attached in here, along with a good description. Also, please post the bug info in here for future reference. Thanks.
UtahJerry
This issue was submitted to Eclipse as Bug # 259706 on 12/26/2008
mwilliams
Thanks Jerry!
UtahJerry
<strong class='bbc'>Eclipse Bug Response:</strong><br />
The odd page-breaks are caused by the page-break-interval property on listing element(table/List), the default value is 40. In preview mode, engine <br />
ignores this property. To get the same result as preview mode, you should set the table page-break-interval to 0. (Page Break tab of Table Properties)<br />
<br />
(This resolved the issue when the report is rendered in Word (DOC) format, but not for the report rendered as a PDF. I re-submitted a sample PDF on Bugzilla.)
mwilliams
Thanks for the update Jerry!
UtahJerry
PDF rendering is fixed in the lastest daily build of 2.3.2.
mwilliams
Good to hear!