Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Intelligence (Analytics)
Y-series grouping
Davolio
Birt 2.2.1
Question,
I have this issue where I have a list of dates by month and when I do my Y-series grouping on my item it will throw things out of whack on my x-axis.
If you look at the picture I've attached it draws 2007, 2008, 2009, 2006.
I believe it is because since Birt draws the series in order, it draws series 1 with no data for 2006 and then series 2 with data for 2006. Since the first labels for the x-axis are drawn, it simply plops 2006 on the end.
Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm still looking for a work-around. I'll post it when I find one.
Thanks,
Dave
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
Davolio
added attachment
mwilliams
Hi Dave,
Without being able to test on your situation, I don't know if this will work, but if you go to the "X-Axis" section on the "Format Data" tab in the "Edit Chart" window and de-select the "Is Category Axis" check box, does that help? Or just mess things up? Let me know.
Davolio
Ah it works but give me duplicate values on my x-axis. I the issue has to do with how birt draws the x-series.
Lets say I order my warehouses in this case differently such that the warehouses with 2006 values are first then it doesn't happen. I can't just change grouping asc, desc because that'll cause another problem later with a different parameter in my report.
I can try to make a joint dataset that takes in the values for all the days and then a column for the value of each warehouse, the problem is then I'd have to dynamically create the dataset , columns, etc depending on how many warehouses where in my data, as well as dynamically creating a series for each warehouse. Then I could plot them against the dates and it'd probably work..... thats a PITA lol.
OR
Spend a couple more hours messing with it.
I'm choosing the later until later lol.
Thanks for the advice:D,
Dave
mwilliams
Dave,
You may have to go back to the Select Data tab and mess with the grouping on the x-axis now that you changed that "Is Category Axis" setting. I'll see if I can recreate something like this with the sample database so I can mess around with it. I'll post again if I find anything out.
Davolio
Hey,
BIRT 2.2.1
I reproduced this with the cars database.
I have a screen shot and report attached if anyone cares to look at it.
Thanks for any advice
.
Dave
mwilliams
Dave,
I was able to get the following with your sample report as the output. Is this what you're wanting?
Davolio
Yes,
Could you post that report? Or explain what you did differently from me?
Thanks,
Dave
mwilliams
Dave,
I ran the report in 2.2.2, so you'll have to change the version info in the XML source back to your version of BIRT to run it.
What I did was what I had suggested before. I went back to the Select Data Tab, clicked on the "edit grouping and sorting" button next to the category x series, enabled grouping, and changed it the way I wanted it using the sum function. Then, on the format chart tab, I deselected the "Is Category Axis" box for the x-axis.
Hope this helps.