Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Intelligence (Analytics)
How to send data not fitting in cell to continuation sheet.
Shashikant
Hi,
We have a requirement to build multi-lingual reports. However the data for languages like Japanese/Chinese doesn't fit into the table cell. We have a requirement to move such data to a continuation sheet.
Is it something feasible in BIRT using APIs?
Thanks in advance,
Shashi
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
Shashikant
Hasn't anyone faced this requirement?<br />
<br />
Please reply if you have inputs, or at least if this is feasible or not.<br />
<br />
Regards,<br />
Shashi<br />
<br />
<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' data-author="Shashikant"><p>Hi,<br />
<br />
We have a requirement to build multi-lingual reports. However the data for languages like Japanese/Chinese doesn't fit into the table cell. We have a requirement to move such data to a continuation sheet. <br />
<br />
Is it something feasible in BIRT using APIs?<br />
<br />
Thanks in advance,<br />
Shashi</p></blockquote>
mwilliams
Hi Shashi,
You may be able to use a custom data item that checks for a certain character length. If it's longer than the certain amount of characters you have determined will fit, you could display something like, "See continuation sheet". You could then add that data to a variable that you will call on your continuation sheet. I have not tested anything like this, but it's an idea that may work. Let me know if you have any questions.
Shashikant
Hi Michael,
Thanks so much for the reply. I would try this and update you about the results.
Thanks again,
Shashi
Shashikant
Hi,
I am trying to add a custom report item for the above requirement as suggested by Michael.
I have followed steps provided at '
http://www.eclipse.org/articles/article.php?file=Article-BIRT-ExtensionTutorial1/index.html'
to create a custom report item.
However I am not able to see the report item in the palette in the report design view.
Do you see anything wrong I am doing? Request to suggest.
Regards,
Shashi
mwilliams
Shashi,
Sorry, by using a custom data item, I meant just dragging a data element from the palette to the report and entering your own expression to check the length and determine what to display.
Shashikant
Hello Michael,
Thanks for the reply. Sorry I was into solving some other problem, hence could not reply.
I would like to describe the requirements for our report further. We have a fixed report format which has fixed width and length. Also the place holders for the data to reported are fixed; i.e. A cell in the report has a fixed size and depending on size (area) of the cell and the data, we need to append the data to the continuation sheet and also display something like 'cont..' in the cell in the actual report.
Please correct me if I am wrong, I think we would require the handle to the reporting element to get it's size in the logic. Would it be right to create a custom BIRT report item for getting this done?
By the way, till now I could create a custom BIRT report item and it's working in the designer mode. I can view the report and also the custom report item field using 'View Report' option in eclipse Report Designer.
However I have another problem right now. I have implemented reporting using a servlet in the web application which invokes the RE and streams the generated report to the browser. However even after copying the custom report item plugin I created to the platform/plugins directory inside web-inf folder, the extension is not invoked and I cannot see the custom report item field.
I would also wait for your input on my question if it is right to create the custom report item.
Thanks in advance,
Shashi
mwilliams
Shashi,
I don't think your problem would require creating a custom element. I would think you could use a standard data element and do all your length checking and what not in the expression builder. Then, you could display the variable that contains the continued sections of the strings in a text box on the next page. Like I said before, I haven't tested any of this. Maybe I'll try to make a sample report design that does something like what I'm saying.
mwilliams
Shashi,
This report design was created in BIRT 2.3.1. You can see the custom binding "Text" I made in my table. If you look at the expression, you can see how I checked the length of the text, then used substrings to display what I could and store the rest in a variable with html breaks. I also included another column value in the variable so the reader would know what line in the continuation page to associate with what line in the first page. The "ContText" variable is initialized in the report's initialize script.
Shashikant
Thanks so much Michael.
Appreciate your help.
I will try your solution and will reply.
Thanks,
Shashi
mwilliams
Shashi,
Sounds good. Let me know.