Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Intelligence (Analytics)
Joint data sets and data parameter binding
jeeves
Hi,
I have setup two data sets each of which have an input string parameter. These two data sets are queries against two different databases(I mean two instances not two different flavors of DB).
Next I created a joint dataset. This joint data set performs an inner join on the two datasets mentioned above and inherits the two input parameters. On my report canvas:
1. I have a table that is bound to a dataset
2. One column of the table is bound to a list. The list in turn is bound to the joint data set described earlier. For the dataset parameter binding I use the row value from the outer dataset which is bound to the table.
My problem: If I use a static string in the joint dataset parameter binding instead of the row value I get the appropriate results. If I use the row value I get an empty result set. I tried printing out the value returned from the row value of the outer dataset and it returns the expected value, which I would expect as input to the parameters for the joint data set.
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
JasonW
Can you set the log level to FINE and zip and post the log file?
Jason
jeeves
Another thing I should mention is that when I built the joint data set it first returned an alert window that said "BIRT makes a try to update incorrect data set parameter".
I have checked my individual data sets and also previewed the results which seem to be satisfactory. I dont see any problems with parameter settings in the individual data sets.
Any ideas?If you can even give me some general direction as to what I should be looking for that would be fo great help too.
jeeves
Hi Jason,
Can you send the instructions on how to set the log levels? Also which directory are these logs written to?
JasonW
The log configuration is in web.xml for the viewer app.
Can you post the report?
jeeves
Pls see attached report
jeeves
I renamed the log file to .rptdesign since I couldnt attach a txt file larger than 50 KB.
The events logged in there include a preview run of the report.
JasonW
Is there any chance you could test this report in the 2.3.2 nightly build of BIRT?
jeeves
Hi Jason,
I cannot test it with any other version of BIRT. I am using a workbench packaged by a vendor for generation of reports on their J2EE application.
I looked at the plugin details and it lists BIRT viewer 2.2.0
JasonW
I know there were some issues with Joint Datasets and parameters in 2.2.2. If you can reproduce the issue using the sample db I may be able to help you get a work around.
jeeves
Jason,
Can you please explain what you mean by reproducing the issue with sample db?
In any case can you still provide the workaround, I could try it independently of whether it is reproducible with sample db or not.
Jeevak
JasonW
Jeevak,
I meant the classic models db that is provided with the designer. It may not be in your version though. I am not 100% that there is a work around, but I will try to build a report that reproduces the problem.
Jason
jeeves
Thanks Jason. Yes the version Im using is stripped down, probably the vendor OEMs it. There are no samples or models to try out.
jeeves
Jason, if you could tell me if this definitely is a bug and how the bug was fixed in 2.3.0 then Ive got the vendor to agree to backport the bug fixes to 2.2.0. Please let me know.
Thanks!
JasonW
Ok, I was able to reproduce this issue with 2.2.0. This issue has been fixed in later versions of BIRT. As a work around, leave your static text in the data binding dialog.
1 - Select the data element in the outer row that you want to use as the real parameter value and open its expression.
for example if the expression is
dataSetRow["ORDERNUMBER"]
change it to:
xyz = dataSetRow["ORDERNUMBER"];
2 - In the two datasets that the parameters are created in add a beforeOpen script to each dataset.
The script should be something like:
//set the dataset parameter
inputParams["param_1"] = xyz;
HTH
Jason
jeeves
Thanks Jason, I have yet to test the changes but its getting delayed because of the inavailability of the databases.
In anycase the other question I had for you is regarding this bug fix in 2.3.x. Can you provide some details so that I can point the vendor's engineers in the right direction. They said they could backport the fix to 2.2.0.
JasonW
Here is the bug number.<br />
<a class='bbc_url' href='
https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=226829'>https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=226829</a><br
/>
<br />
Post a comment to the bug for details.<br />
<br />
Jason