Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Intelligence (Analytics)
Loop over Data Set for custom display how to?
mdundek
Hello folks,
I need to loop over a Data Set in order to display detailed informations
about each row entry, but not in the regulat table view way, but create a
detailed block for each row independantly. In other words, I have a data set
that has alot of columns, displaying them in a simple table is not possible,
I want to have a detailed view on each row entry of that Data Set that I can
then display in a block view one underneath the other one, dynamicaly, and
not as a row of a table.
I am new to BIRT and the report designer, so please can you give as much
details as possible on how to do such a thing.
Thanks alot
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
mwilliams
Hi mdundek,
Can you explain a little more about your issue? Thanks.
mdundek
Ok, let me try to explain differently. I have a Data Set with 20 columns, and some of those columns contain String values that contain user comments for example, this means that some columns will contain a lot of text. If I display this Data Set as a Table in my report, we can all agree that this would probably not look good, 20 columns packed with information spanning over multiple rows?
So instead, I wanted to dedicate a half page section on my report for each row within my Data Set, like a section that will display a single row content that I will have to layout some how within that half page.
I did make a little drawing attached to this post, to represent what I mean, I hope you get a better understanding through that sketch.
Thanks
mdundek
Hello again,
Well, after playing arround a bit I found my answere. For those of you who might wonder, all you need to do is create a List Item, insert a Grid inside of that list item content cell and drag and drop the dataset columns you want on the target grid cells where you want them to be. To finalize all that, just adjust font, size, colors ond so on, and you are good to go.
miky_italy
Hi all,
I'm new too to BIRT Report and have a similar problem but a bit complicated:
I have a list and inside it various tables to display other data related to the item iterated over the list, now I would like to pass a column of data output of the main list (the query output 3 columns) as an input parameter of a query related to the table inside the list.
i.e.: list columns ("id", "name", "somethingelse")
table nested query (select a from b where tname = ?)
so the question mark must be substituted by the "name" gived by the list item iterated.
Hope I was clear enough, thank you in advance for any hint.
Michele
mwilliams
Hi Michele,
If I'm understanding correctly, you should be able to select your inner table, select the binding tab in the property editor, and click on the "dataSet parameter binding..." button. Here you can set the binding for the '?' to be the "name" field from the outer list. Hope this helps. Let me know if this isn't what you're looking for.
miky_italy
Hi Michael,
thank you for the hint, it was just what I was missing
Now everything is fine in the list.
May I ask something else ?
I don't understand why after the chapter containing the list I don't have visibility of a previous data that I was using repeatedly without problems: before I extracted with a query the project name and I would like to refer to that value in various points of the report also even at the end, there is a way (i.e. put the value in a parameter or somthg else) to do that or I have to repeat the query ?
Thnx in advance,
Michele
mwilliams
Michele,
You should be able to store this value in a variable to recall it later. If using 2.5.0+, you have report variables (Data Explorer) that you can store it in. You could either grab it in the dataSet or in an element in the report in which you use this value. If using a pre 2.5.0 version, you'll probably need to use a persistentGlobalVariable.
Hope this helps. Let me know if you have questions.
miky_italy
Hi Michael,
thank you again for your help, after a couple of tentative now I manage things with global variables well. That simplify much things.
I know this after is OT.
Now going on the building of the report I need a dynamic TOC with automatic page numbering but since now I haven't found useful info with google on how to do that. I don't need nothing special, I have chapter titles, most are static and some are dynamic about the numbering (in the mentioned list I build paragraphs numbers with the row number help). I tried bookmarks and hyperlinks but they aren't dynamic on text displayed, so I'm trying to use in the property editor the item Table of Content, but don't know how to build the table with that data, can you give me some hints ?
Thank you in advance, Michele
(I use Eclipse BIRT version 2.3.1.v20080630)
mwilliams
This post from the devShare should help with creating a TOC<br />
<br />
<a class='bbc_url' href='
http://www.birt-exchange.org/devshare/designing-birt-reports/1080-another-report-with-printable-table-of-contents-toc-/#description'>Another
Report with Printable Table of Contents (TOC) - Designs & Code - BIRT Exchange</a>
miky_italy
Thank you for your help, very appreciated.
The example you mention doesn't run correctly and exit with error, anyway I'll use it to understand how to solve my problem.
Michele