Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Intelligence (Analytics)
referencing data entered on javascript form
shepherr
i have a javascript form on a report and i would like to reference the value entered into that form in an expression. For example the user enters a value into the form then clicks on a drill-through to another report where a parameter is mapped to the form value via an expression. Does anyone know how to do this?
A simple example is attached. How can I get the value entered into the inst_cd form to show up in the expression?
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
mwilliams
Hi shepherr,
What version of BIRT are you using?
shepherr
Michael,
We are using 2.3.1.v20080922-1151...
Thanks!
Richard
alex520
I think you should submit this form to a servlet , there is no birt element in your report desing file.
shepherr
I don't know what you mean by 'there is no birt element in your report desing file' - or using a servlet for that matter... are you thinking something is missing form the birt report?
bhanley
Please see the attached sample. I updated your copy of the report to be functional. The first issue is that you cannot update the contents of a Label control. Those are locked after render. I switched the control over to a Text control and simply added a DIV. Then I was able to easily update the contents of the DIV from Javascript when the button is clicked.
Hope this helps keep you moving. I am not sure what you are ultimately trying to accomplish here. There are a lot of great and easy ways to manipulate text on the report without resorting to Javascript. This will work and is totally supported, but if you give me a better idea what your ultimate goal is there might be a more elegant solution.
Good Luck!
shepherr
Thanks very much! To go a little further into what I'm trying to do, I would like to reference this value from expressions so I could use it for a variety of things. But primarily I want to be able to pass this value to another report in a drill-through. I was thinking that since expressions are available to use this would be the best way to pass the enetered value as a parameter but as you say there are many ways to aproach things. So - bottom line I want to have the use enter a value in the report and have that value passed as a parameter in a drill through. Any suggestions would be very much welcome.
Thanks!