Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
Reusing DCR file names
rpjoseph
I have a DCR named '123' in a directory 'abc'. I would like to delete the file then create a new DCR in the same directory with the same name. I would expect that I would have a new version of '123' - however when I try to save any file with any name that has been used previously I receive the error 'The file is not accessible'.
Is there any way to reuse a file name in the same directory? What behavior should I expect?
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
Bowker
What platform / version of TS are you using?
Did you submit the deletion first?
What are the file properties (list modified to see the file)?
rpjoseph
Hi. Thank you.
We are on Windows 2000. We use Teamsite Version 5.5.2.
Yes we submitted the deletion. The file is not there for me to view file properties. It has been deleted and submitted. The list modified is a list of files that have been modified but not submitted right? The only way that I could view the file properties is to go to a previous edition which wouldn't tell me much.
I appreciate your help.
nipper
SOunds like you did not submit the deletion. Do a list modified and look to see if the file deletion shows up, if so submit it and then you should be good to go
ANdy
nipper
So my last post must have come the same time you followed yours up.
Go to the STAGING area & see if the file is still there ?
When you submitted it, was it a direct (with overwrite conflicts) or was it to workflow (default) ? DO a view all jobs and see if there is one with a conflict.
Andy
rpjoseph
Thank you. I am sure that I am just doing something wrong. I know that this should be simple.
The file is not in staging. The DCR is not in templatedata. The only place that I can find it is in previous editions. I checked All Jobs - there are no conflicts.
Am I right in my first post? Should I be able to name a new file with an old files name and just get version xx of that DCR?
Thank you for your help.
Robert Joseph
Senior Web Engineer
CNF Inc.
nipper
You have it right. I just created a file, submitted it, removed it, and recreated it.
I did not try it with a DCR.
Are there other WORKAREAs with the old version of the file ?
ANdy
rpjoseph
No there are no other workareas that I can find with the file.
This is very strange. I tried this with another file and it seemed to work great. There are 5 files that I know of that I receive the error when I try to reuse the file name. I found another file that we had deleted and recreated and 'View History' on that file shows me what I would expect.
Maybe it's time to call support...????
Robert Joseph
Senior Web Engineer
CNF Inc.
MattP
To reiterate something andy mentioned... did you have overwrite selected? then submit? Did you look at list modified.
Is the generated file also deleted?
Have you gone on the Y: drive and looked for it?
Matt
Matthew Petitjean
BOC Group
Murray Hill, NJ 07974 USA
rpjoseph
Thank you again for your help. I really appreciate it.
We did not have overwrite selected. We viewed list modified and submitted the delete normally from there.
There is no hint of the file in list modified. Isn't list modified a list of files that have been modified but not submitted?
The generated file is deleted.
I searched the Y Drive for the file and only found it in Editions.
Robert Joseph
Senior Web Engineer
CNF Inc.
MattP
It seems like a one-off issue. Yes, you can re-use file names. The only flag that I noticed was you said you didn't have overwrite selected. For file deletions, I *think* you need that. You may not see it onthe Y drive becasue explorer is hiding it. I think a deleted file is still there, just with a deleted flag or something in its attributes. Anyway. If you really need this file name, I would restore the file from history or an edition. Delete the file. using overwrite, submit direct.
I would be interested to hear what support has to say. Please post the solution.
Hope this helps.
Matt
Matthew Petitjean
BOC Group
Murray Hill, NJ 07974 USA
webby
I dont think this is a one off.
According to the "Known issues" in "ts.552.rn.pdf"
17829: (n/a) appears in file names field when logged into WebDesk.
By design, when files are not accessible, the file name displays as (n/a), and an alert box explains that
the file is not accessible.
Can anyone explain what this statement means?
If the file has been deleted and submitted and whatever then my understanding would be that it is "not accessible".
It seems to be a self defeating "design"?
Thanks
MattP
This is one of those frustrating things that you need to think about every possible scenario. The file may be deleted in the WA, but if it hasn't been submitted than it isn't truly deleted. There may be a reason why it is deleted in WA but not yet staging or in an edition deployment.
If you are still seeing the file (with na) AFTER submitting with overwrite, than I would consider it a bug...one that may be specific to your environment, as that is not the behavior that I experience.
What patches have you applied? Have you opened a case?
Matt
Matthew Petitjean
BOC Group
Murray Hill, NJ 07974 USA
Migrateduser
It sounds like you did everything correctly...
This situation sounds like an older issue that was addressed in TS5.0.x time frame.
After deleting and submitting the file, try creating an empty file in its place. Save the DCR over the empty file. Let us know if this works.
--Daniel
Barcode.JPG
webby
I think it is an older issue: number 17829 which seems to be back in TS 5.5.2 SP3.
I've tested as follows.
As author I delete and submit an existing DCR from the WA and STAGING.
I then create a new DCR via template and attempt to save same using the previous file name.
The system refuses and generates an error message:
"The file is not accessible".
I can naturally save the DCR by using a (slightly) different file name.
Our system only allows DCR creation at the author level, there is no way for the author role users to create simple empty files.
Thanks for the input.