Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Intelligence (Analytics)
WebViewer sample application trouble
jmaldonado
Hello all,
A little background, please bear with me...
I am quite new to BIRT so I deployed the WebViewerExample as outlined in the instructions. I actually need to use version 2.2 since the application server where this will eventually be deployed to is only running version 1.4.2 of the JDK. To test things out I have deployed the birt-runtime-2_2_2 version to tomcat 5 on Fedora10. The test.rptdesign displays without errors in IE, FireFox and Opera keep throwing a VersionMismatch exception, though that's not a problem right now.
The problem is when I attempt to deploy a report with a data source and data set defined and bound to a table. This report works in the Preview in the report designer, same version, 2.2.2. In the viewer I get an exception in the logs and subsequently no data in the report.
In deploying the report I have copied the driver jar file, jt400.jar to WEB-INF/platform/plugins/org.eclipse.birt.report.data.oda.jdbc_2.2.2.r22x_v20071206/drivers/ in the deployed application directory. and the basic.rptdesign file to the root of the application.
I have changed the BIRT_VIEWER_LOG_LEVEL to FINER in the web.xml file and get the following messages
Apr 7, 2009 11:24:53 AM org.eclipse.birt.report.data.oda.jdbc.ResultSet next
FINE: ResultSet.next( )
Apr 7, 2009 11:24:53 AM org.eclipse.birt.data.engine.executor.cache.SmartCacheHelper populateData
FINE: MemoryCache is used
Apr 7, 2009 11:24:53 AM org.eclipse.birt.data.engine.executor.cache.SmartCacheHelper populateData
FINE: Time consumed by cache is: 0 second
Apr 7, 2009 11:24:53 AM org.eclipse.birt.data.engine.expression.InvalidExpression InvalidExpression
FINER: InvalidExpression starts up
Apr 7, 2009 11:24:53 AM org.eclipse.birt.data.engine.expression.InvalidExpression InvalidExpression
FINER: InvalidExpression starts up
Apr 7, 2009 11:24:53 AM org.eclipse.birt.data.engine.impl.QueryExecutor execute
FINER: Finish executing
Apr 7, 2009 11:24:53 AM org.eclipse.birt.data.engine.impl.ResultIterator ResultIterator
FINER: ENTRY org.eclipse.birt.data.engine.impl.QueryResults$ResultService@1e5b04ae org.eclipse.birt.data.engine.executor.transform.CachedResultSet@69904b13 [object Object]
Apr 7, 2009 11:24:53 AM org.eclipse.birt.report.engine.data.dte.DataGenerationEngine doExecuteQuery
SEVERE: A BIRT exception occurred: org.eclipse.birt.core. See next exception for more information.
org.eclipse.birt.core
Apr 7, 2009 11:24:53 AM DataEngineImpl shutdown
Though there is no next exception.
The rptdesign file is attached
I would like to understand what the actual problem is as well as solutions prior to attempting this on the target deployment system.
Thanks,
Joe
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
mwilliams
Hi Joe,
Is your report design created with your own database? Or are you using the sample database? Have you tried deploying a report design made with the sample database to see if it works yet? If not, you might give that a try.
jmaldonado
Hello,
I used the CustomerOrdersFinal.rptdesign (attached) report and ran it in the designer successfully though once deployed to tomcat I got the attached exceptions. I will be trying a simpler sample db report shortly.
Thanks,
Joe
jmaldonado
attached is the sample database report along with the thrown exception.
Thanks,
Joe
mwilliams
Joe,
I don't have a way to test it deployed in Fedora10, but I can say that I deployed the exact same report design to the 2.2.2 viewer on a Windows XP system and had no issues with it. If you were able to see the test.rptdesign just fine, the viewer must be installed correctly. I'll have to look into any issues there may be with BIRT and Fedora10. If I find anything, I'll post back in here.
jmaldonado
Hello,
Thanks for looking into this. The deployment of the viewer is to tomcat 5. I have also tried to deploy the viewer to the websphere application server with similar results.
Thanks,
Joe
mwilliams
Joe,
I'm using Tomcat 5.5.
jmaldonado
Hello,
5.5.27 here jdk 1.6.0.
I'm starting to wonder about the installation. The test.rptdesign runs fine though test1.rptdesign throws an exception about "Column binding "row["CUSTOMERNUMBER"] does not exist."
Thanks,
Joe
mwilliams
Joe,
What steps are you following when deploying the sample viewer?
jmaldonado
Hello Michael,<br />
<br />
I followed the instructions on this page <a class='bbc_url' href='
http://www.eclipse.org/birt/phoenix/deploy/viewerSetup.php'>Installing
the BIRT Viewer in Tomcat</a><br />
<br />
Using the birt-runtime-2_2_2.zip from the download site.<br />
<br />
Thanks,<br />
<br />
Joe
mwilliams
Joe,<br />
<br />
We tried it on a Red Hat box with Tomcat 5.5.27 and had no issues running it with IE. We did have the issue you're having with Firefox not running the report deployed on the Linux box though. When we changed "frameset" to "preview" in the URL, it worked though. Please log this as a bug at <a class='bbc_url' href='
http://www.eclipse.org/birt/phoenix/reportabug.php'>BIRT
: Reporting Bugs and Requesting Enhancements</a>.<br />
<br />
As for issues with Fedora10 and BIRT, I have not heard of any issues before and didn't see anything while doing a quick search. That doesn't mean there isn't something there. Where did you place your reports in the deployed viewer?
jmaldonado
Hello,
I did see a problem with firefox 3 and the strict dtd used in the html header throwing the Version Mismatch exception. I will try the preview mode instead...I have been using frameset and run servlets.
The report viewer was deployed to /var/lib/tomcat5/webapps as /var/lib/tomcat5/webapps/birt-viewer.
Thanks,
Joe
mwilliams
Joe,
Where within the birt-viewer directory did you place your reports?
jmaldonado
I have tried the default reports which are in the birt-viewer/ directory and also from birt-viewer/report.<br />
<br />
the url for the latter is <a class='bbc_url' href='
http://localhost:8080/birt-viewer/preview?__report=report/test1.rptdesign'>http://localhost:8080/birt-viewer/preview?__report=report/test1.rptdesign</a><br
/>
where the one for the former is <a class='bbc_url' href='
http://localhost:8080/birt-viewer/preview?__report=test1.rptdesign'>http://localhost:8080/birt-viewer/preview?__report=test1.rptdesign</a><br
/>
<br />
Thanks,<br />
<br />
Joe
mwilliams
Joe,
From the sounds of it, you've set everything up correctly. There may be a problem with BIRT and Fedora that I won't be able to see without downloading Fedora. Please log a bug for this as well as the FireFox thing at the link I posted in my previous post and see what they say. You can also post any bug information in this thread for future reference. Thanks.
jmaldonado
The exception has been filed as <a class='bbc_url' href='
https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=271894'>https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=271894</a><br
/>
<br />
The firefox issue is resolved in version 2.3.2 though...unfortunately I cannot use that version at this time.<br />
<br />
Thanks,<br />
<br />
Joe