Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Intelligence (Analytics)
Automatic Page Breaks
pbaker01
First, I posted this question under another title - I have reposted here for clarity. I apologize in advance for the dup post.
I am new to BIRT and I have created a report that contains a table. Each detail line in the table contains a Dynamic Text component that may render several lines. I want the page breaks to be inserted automatically. When the page files up, insert a page break. However, that is not what happens. The grid has three Page Break options: Before, After, and Inside. There is also a Page Break Interval. If the interval is set to 2 then two detail lines are printed on each page. If the interval is set to 20 then twenty detail lines are printed on each page. If I set the value to 2 then each page has lots of white space. If I set the value to 20 then twenty detail lines are 'compressed' on to the page regardless if they can fit or not.
I don't want to use the interval, when a page fills up I want BIRT to 'AUTO'matically insert a page break.
Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong or how to get around this? I am using PDF as the output. When I use DOC I have other issues but similar.
I'll take any solution. Scripts?
Thanks in Advance!
Paul
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
mwilliams
Hi Paul,
What version of BIRT are you using?
pbaker01
<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' data-author="mwilliams"><p>Hi Paul,<br />
<br />
What version of BIRT are you using?</p></blockquote>
Thanks for considering my question. <br />
<br />
I am using BIRT within RSA 7.5.2. Eclipse Updates shows the version for BIRT as 2.3.2r232.<br />
<br />
I am trying to get my company to use BIRT. But with these pagination problems it does not really 'sell' itself well. <br />
<br />
I'll provide any info that you need... This problem seems so fundamental. I don't understand why the detail lines can't simply flow from page to page automatically. <br />
<br />
Update: <br />
When generating using Microsoft Word (DOC) format the detail lines due flow across pages but the headers do not print (I have posted another problem for this). The pagination problem here seems to be restricted to PDF.<br />
<br />
<br />
Paul
pbaker01
Any Ideas?
pbaker01
Is there any additional information that I can provide to help resolve this?
mwilliams
Paul,
Sorry for the delayed response. Is there any way you can make a report with the sample database that shows this issue so that I can see it for myself? This way I can try to see if there's anything that can be done. Thanks.
pbaker01
I've attached a sample of the report (2 pages). Second page is the problem page. I have also attached the report design.
mwilliams
Paul,
Sorry, I probably didn't explain clearly enough. I'm looking for a report created with the sample classic models database that I can actually run and test.
pbaker01
Within RSA there are two ways to generate a report:
1) Via the Report View
2) Via a configuration file
I had been using the configuration file.
User: right click on ****.rptdesign
System: display context menu
User: select "Report As" | "Report Configurations"
System: displays configuration form
User: select report format (Adobe Reader pdf)
User: select Report
System: generate bad report
However, when I select the viewer and then select PDF from there the report is displayed with proper page breaks.
I found this problem trying to generate the test report as you suggested and in my normal eclipse the "Report As" open did not exist.
Report As does exist in my Rational Software Architect installation.
I will generate the PDF report via the Report Viewer.
Thanks. Paul
mwilliams
Paul,
Glad to hear it works for you through the viewer. Let us know whenever you have questions.