Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
Need some clarification on Backing up of iw-store
mksiw
Iam in the process of learning the Backing-store conversion. I'd gone through the backing store conversion document. Can anyone please clarify me on the below questions:
1. What is conventional backup of backing-store?
2. I had gone though the backing store conversion docs all they say is "iwfreeze the backing store and backup the iw-store", Do they mean to say copy the iw-store to different location? or Do we need to use any seperate tool for the backup?
thanks in advance.
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
gwen1
I believe in the documentation... they are trying to get you to plan for the worst. This is very very important. During my conversion the Sun Admin rebooted my 5.5.2 server, without notifying me. I only lost part of my newly converted backingstore since I had another copy to put into place. A backup is basically a copy of the backingstore. It should be frozen or Teamsite stopped to prevent writing to the iw-store directory during this process.
Some suggestions:
1. Follow your normal processes on the source server, nightly backups or however you normally handle this.
2. If possible convert in small chunks... ie. one branch at a time, groups of editions, etc.
3. After conversion script stops.. backup the newly converted backingstore. I could not easily get our normal backup procedure in place, so I created at tar.Z file of the iw-store directory.
4. While it was running, I would run iwfsk -d on my 5.5.2 server to verify that I had a good converted backingstore with no errors.
5. If iwconvert is interrupted and does not end on an edition, you need to start over from the last good point. (When you are 30 hours or more into the process, do not want to have to start over from the beginning)
Hope this helps!
Gwen
Adam Stoller
You might also take a look at (and have your sysadmins take a look at) the section in the TeamSite Administrator's Guide that covers backups... If it isn't being done / done correctly now - you should make sure it is done correctly before you start the conversion (and that it continues to be done correctly afterwards)
--fish
(Interwoven Senior Technical Consultant)
Gregg Faus
When we worked out our backup solution on Win2k we found that only creating a copy of the iw-store directory and backing that up seemed to work.
So I wrote the following batch file and schedule it to run before the backup software grabs the data:
@echo
OFF
echo Copying Data...
rmdir e:\iw-store-backup\ /S /Q
mkdir e:\iw-store-backup\
iwfreeze +500
xcopy e:\iw-store e:\iw-store-backup /E /H /EXCLUDE:e:\exclusions.txt
iwfreeze --
echo Done Copying!
File: exclusions.txt
LOCKFILE
That is what worked for us. Of course, we need double the disk space.
mksiw
Thank you all for the valuable answers.
I have another question, this is also related to backing store. Is it a good practise to keep the iw-store in a different location[totally in different hardware] from the TeamSite Server and map the iw-store to the TeamSite Server?