Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Intelligence (Analytics)
Concatenating Data Sets
AlanC
I have 2 data sources:
The first is a SQL Server database and the 2nd is a flat file.
I need to concatenate the results of my dataset from the SQL Server database with the contents of the flat file.
Is this possible?
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
mwilliams
Hi AlanC,
Have you tried using a joint dataSet? What does your data look like in both dataSets?
AlanC
Hi Michael
The data in the SQL Server database is "raw" data for 3 locations, which is summarised over calendar months using a BIRT dataset.
The data in the flat file is for a 4th location and is already summarised over the calendar months.
e.g.
SQL Server Values:
Month1 Location1 Value1
Month1 Location1 Value2
Month1 Location2 Value1
Month1 Location2 Value2
Month1 Location2 Value3
Month1 Location3 Value1
Month2 Location1 Value1
Month2 Location1 Value2
Month2 Location1 Value3
etc.
These are then summarised in my BIRT dataset to give
Month1 Location1 Value
Month1 Location2 Value
Month1 Location3 Value
Month2 Location1 Value
Month2 Location2 Value
Month2 Location3 Value
etc.
In my flat file, I have already summarised, to give
Month1 Location4 Value
Month2 Location4 Value
etc.
AlanC
Sorry, I should have added that I need the result to be...
Month1 Location1 Value
Month1 Location2 Value
Month1 Location3 Value
Month1 Location4 Value
Month2 Location1 Value
Month2 Location2 Value
Month2 Location3 Value
Month2 Location4 Value
etc.
mwilliams
AlanC,
You should be able to do a joint dataSet with an outer join. Then you could create computed columns to merge the data from like columns into one column.
Hope this helps.
AlanC
I think this may have solved my dilemma. I had to ensure that the fields that were highlighted in the join did not have any common values (e.g. Location) and this looks like it gives me what I want.
Many thanks.
mwilliams
No problem. Let us know whenever you have questions!