Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Intelligence (Analytics)
master page question
vlads
Hello, everybody
I am a novice in Birt, so sorry if this is a silly question.
I am creating a new report using blank report as a template. I don't do anything else, just create a new report. When I preview it - I see black lines on the left side and on top, they look like a border. The line on the left is very thick, the line on top is thinner. When I print this report it prints with these lines on the page.
I really need to get rid of these lines. Can anybody help me with this? Please, I already spent a day trying to figure it out.
Thanks in advance,
vlad
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
mwilliams
Hi Vlad,
What version of BIRT are you using?
vlads
<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' data-author="mwilliams"><p>Hi Vlad,<br />
<br />
What version of BIRT are you using?</p></blockquote>
<br />
Hello, Michael<br />
<br />
Thank you for replying.<br />
It is 2.3.2.<br />
<br />
Is there a hope?<br />
<br />
Regards,<br />
Vlad
mwilliams
Vlad,
Can you attach a report design that has this issue? Or show a screenshot or something? I don't see it. Thanks.
vlads
<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' data-author="mwilliams"><p>Vlad,<br />
<br />
Can you attach a report design that has this issue? Or show a screenshot or something? I don't see it. Thanks.</p></blockquote>
<br />
Here it is (test.jpeg). You can see there are bold lines on the left and on top, but not on the right and not on the bottom. Here are the instructions:<br />
Do: File - New - Report - NameOfTheReport - Blank Report (does not matter, which template, they all have lines) - Finish - Preview. The lines are there. You can print it from the workspace and see the lines. You can deploy it on a web server, run, and print it... The lines will be there.<br />
The problem is that my report has a pre-defined format, and I cannot have these lines there.<br />
<br />
Thank you so so much,<br />
<br />
Vlad
mwilliams
Vlad,
Are you talking about the shadow effect on the window?
vlads
Yes. When I print my report it prints a border on top and on the left side of the page. My report has very strict formatting requirements, and cannot have any extra border's/lines. Please help.
Vlad.
mwilliams
Vlad,
I don't see those lines as a border. They're part of the BIRT web viewer look. If you were to view the report in PDF, you wouldn't see these lines. The only thing I can suggest for changing the look of the viewer so that it doesn't have shadow/depth lines, would be to edit the sample viewer code or create your own viewer without this look.
vlads
Michael,
I don't think it's the viewer. I deploy any report to Tomcat. Then I go to File - Print Preview or File - Print, and these lines are printed.
Help.
mwilliams
Vlad,
I don't see where they print unless it's with the surrounding window, because they're a part of the design of the viewer. It's not meant to be a border. It's meant to give the viewer look some depth. It's not part of the actual BIRT report area. It's part of the window that contains the report. Run a blank report in PDF, where the viewer window is not used, you will not see these lines.
Hope this helps.
vlads
Michael, you are right!
Now, I read about the __masterpage=false argument, which can be sent to the url when you run the report. I am confused. It looks to me that this should turn the masterpage off, but it doesn't look like it.
Also, you mentioned that I can edit the sample viewer code. I downloaded the source code for birt last night, but can't seem do find where the shadow effect is set. Any chance you can point this out?
Really appreciate your help.
Sincerely,
Vlad
vlads
Also, I just wanted to make sure that we are talking about the same thing here.
I think I got a better picture of an empty report this time. I am not talking about the shadow effect around the window, I am talking about the blue frame inside of the report.
Second attachment has the same empty report with a text 'some text goes here...'. See how it prints this frame around it? I need to get rid of it.
Vlad.
mwilliams
Vlad,
Sorry about the confusion on the lines you meant. However, I still don't see the blue line that surrounds the report area unless I'm in the design window. No matter what output I view the report in, I don't see the blue lines anymore.
vlads
I attached a blank report. Can you print it and see if the lines print please?
Also, did you see my previous message about the __masterpage=false and which file do I need to modify to override the behavior of the viewer?
Thanks so much.
Vlad
mwilliams
Vlad,
I ran the report with the viewer and then chose to print the report to PDF from there. Here is my output as I see it.
As for the __masterpage=false, I agree that it sounds like it should turn the masterpage off. For the file to edit the viewer, I'm not sure which exact file it is. I'd have to search through the files to find the correct one. However, since we figured out that this is not the issue, I don't think that'll solve your blue line problem.
P.S. - I'm using 2.3.2.2.
vlads
I know, pdf is fine, but I should avoid it if it's possible. Can you print it in HTML,please?
mwilliams
Vlad,
Here is my output if I view the report in the Web Viewer, choose the print option, and select HTML.
vlads
It's hard for me to see from this image if the lines show or not, looks like they don't? Do they print?
So, where is the problem then and how do I fix it?
vlads
Michael, when you printed my new_report did you use the <br />
<a class='bbc_url' href='
http://localhost:8080/birt/frameset?__report=new_report.rptdesign'>http://localhost:8080/birt/frameset?__report=new_report.rptdesign</a><br
/>
or <br />
<a class='bbc_url' href='
http://localhost:8080/birt/run?__report=new_report.rptdesign'>http://localhost:8080/birt/run?__report=new_report.rptdesign</a><br
/>
when I use the first option the lines don't print.<br />
They print when I use the 'run' option.<br />
<br />
_______________________<br />
Actually, never mind. They didn't print the first time I used 'frameset', but printed the second time. <br />
I'd think I am delusional if I didn't have two printouts with and without the lines in front of me
<br />
<br />
P.S. By the policy of my company I can only use IE 7.
mwilliams
Vlad,
I see what you're talking about now. I hadn't printed it to actual paper. It is exactly what I was talking about before though. It's printing the lines from the viewer window. These lines are not a part of the master page or report. When I run it from frameset? and use the viewer print option at the top of the page and choose HTML as the print type, I don't get the lines. If I just print the report using the IE7 print button, I get the lines. So, if you use the print button within the viewer, it gets rid of the viewer window.
Hope this helps.