Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Intelligence (Analytics)
Excel preview Error
cavillarba
Hi Everyone,
I'm using BIRT all-in-one to design a report. I can preview my report layout in all forms(Html, PDF, Word, Postscript) but except in Excel.
When I try to preview, I receive this error.
"The file you are trying to open, 'Employee_master[6].xls', is in a different format than specified by the file extension. Verify that the file is not corrupted and is from a trusted source before opening the file. Do you want to open the file now?"
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks,
CESAR
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
Virgil Dodson
Hi CESAR,<br />
<br />
The XLS file should still open if you choose Yes. More information about this message from Excel 2007 can be found at <a class='bbc_url' href='
https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=267988'>https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=267988</a>
;
cavillarba
Hi Virgil,
Thanks for your advice. It works!!!!
Regards,
CESAR
rpolunsky
Cesar,
In case you're interested, the Excel emitter from BIRT uses an XML-based format specified by Microsoft. When you click "Yes", Excel recognizes the format and parses the file - usually correctly.
There are a few holes in the spec. For example, if you are doing numeric division in your formulas, BIRT will cheerfully output a number with twenty or thirty decimal places. Excel will choke - it doesn't like more than ten, I think. The location of the Microsoft Office error file is peculiar as well.
Anyway, you're up and running so more power to you!