Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Intelligence (Analytics)
Possible to create "traditional" Word document ?
Rudi_V
Hi,
I am new to Birt, but as far as i can tell from studying documentation and googling, it seems like Birt is not suited for generating a "traditional" word document with automatically numbered sections and sub-sections and a table of contents in the beginning of the doc (with these section numbers and including page numbers).
Am I missing something ? All info/pointers are very welcome.
(I had posted this question to the Welcome thread a couple of days ago, but without getting any responses. Sorry for the duplication.)
kind regards
Rudi
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
mwilliams
Hi Rudi,
The word output is going to be just whatever is in your report design. So, whatever setup you're able to create in your report design will be in the word document.
Hope this helps.
Rudi_V
<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' data-author="mwilliams"><p>
The word output is going to be just whatever is in your report design. So, whatever setup you're able to create in your report design will be in the word document.<br /></p></blockquote>
<br />
Can someone give more concrete tips for creating a book-style table of contents ?<br />
<br />
As far as I can see, the "table of contents" that is supported by Birt is like PDF bookmarks, i.e. a collection of links in a separate pane.<br />
<br />
But I need a book-style table of contents like the following excerpt, with section numbers and page numbers.<br />
<br />
Can anyone give a reference how i could achieve this ?<br />
<br />
thanks<br />
Rudi<br />
<br />
<br />
excerpt from table of contents following<br />
<br />
<br />
2. Contents 2<br />
3. Introduction 5<br />
3.1. Purpose 5<br />
3.2. Scope 5<br />
3.3. Acronyms and definitions 5<br />
3.4. References 7<br />
4. General Description 8<br />
4.1. Product Functions 8<br />
4.2. User experience 9<br />
4.3. General Constraints 9<br />
4.4. Assumptions and Dependencies 9<br />
5. Interface requirements 10<br />
5.1. User interfaces 10<br />
5.2. Hardware interfaces 10<br />
5.3. Software interfaces 17<br />
5.4. Communication interfaces 17<br />
6. Functional requirements 18<br />
6.1. GENERAL: START_MACHINE 18<br />
6.2. GENERAL: NORMAL_STOP_MACHINE 18<br />
6.3. GENERAL: FAST_STOP_MACHINE 18<br />
6.4. GENERAL: LINE_SPEED 18<br />
6.5. GENERAL: VELOCITY CONTROL 18<br />
6.6. GENERAL: JOGGING 19
mwilliams
Rudi,
Unfortunately, I don't think you'll be able to grab the page number that an individual section will be on before the report is rendered, so having a TOC with a page number before the report may be difficult. I'll let you know if I find anything else on this.
NachtRittr
I'm looking for something very similar...
I'm less concerned about generating a table of contents directly from BIRT (that would be very nice side effect), but what I'm really interested in doing is generating the correctly formatted headers from the records of the database which I'm using to create the report output.
So for instance, if I have the following table structure:
{structure}
SectionTitle
SectionIntro
SectionOwner
SectionStatus
SectionChangeDate
{/structure}
Then I'd like to be able to have the report output look something like:
<h2>{SectionTitle}<h2>
{SectionIntro}
<table>
<tr><td>Owner: </td><td>{SectionOwner}</td></tr>
<tr><td>Status: </td><td>{SectionStatus}</td></tr>
<tr><td>Last Change: </td><td>{SectionChangeDate}</td></tr>
</table>
... with the fields of course expanded out to contain the content from the database.
I'm really new to BIRT as well, and so far can't see how I can do this without wrapping everything into a containing table which Word doesn't like when trying to include the section title (aka SectionTitle) in the TOC.
Seems like BIRT is very powerful, so there is probably a way to do it that is a bit more complex than basic table-based reporting.
Thanks!
aanglade
<p>Hi,</p>
<p>Do we have a solution to this topics.</p>
<p>I would be interested of an approach to be able to generate the Word TOC from the Word export of the BIRT report.</p>
<p>Thanks</p>
<p>Armand</p>