Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
Deploy Edition From Workflow
Lynchy
Anyone have any info how to deploy an edition from a workflow? Where the edition could be selected from within the TeamSite UI and then deployed. Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to supply.
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
Migrateduser
There are multiple facets to your question. Which thing are you not clear about:
o Starting a deployment from a workflow?
This involves creating an externaltask in your workflow that calls a script that invokes the
iwodstart
CLT.
o Creating a deployment configuration that deploys an edition?
This involves creating a deployment configuration that sets the source path to be
<your branch path>/EDITION
, among many other things.
You really need to have a decent understanding of both of these constructs (externaltask scripts and deployment configuration) before you can feel comfortable about executing them and debugging the problems you are likely to have if you don't have any experience with one or both facets. If you can't take any Interwoven classes, you should sit down with at least the Open Deploy Admin Guide (the Workflow Manual will not help you much in understanding externaltask scripts) and read up on how to configure deployments. It's a start anyway.
Dave Smith
Sr. Software Engineer
Nike, Inc.
(503) 671-4238
DavidH.Smith@nike.com
Lynchy
Dave,
Thanks for your response. I do understand the OpenDeploy piece of this, it is the Workflow externaltask piece that I was wondering about and how to specify which edition to deploy through a workflow.
Migrateduser
Well that's the easy part. If you already have a deployment config that deploys your edition, all you need is a perl script that simply calls
iwodstart
. The syntax for iwodstart is pretty simple. I don't think it's in the CLT manual, only in the OD manual. Give it a try.
Dave Smith
Sr. Software Engineer
Nike, Inc.
(503) 671-4238
DavidH.Smith@nike.com
Bryan_K
You can specify your edition by pointing straight to the edition you wish to deploy, i.e. branch\edition\edition_007, or you can point straight to the branch\edition path and OD will automatically deploy the most recent edition in that branch.
Bryan
Lynchy
What I actually want to try and do is give someone the ability to select the edition to deploy through a GUI and the deploy said edition to either a QA or production environment.
Migrateduser
All you need to do that is a simple CGI form with a drop-down select list of your editions. To get a list of your editions, you can use the iwattrib CLT with the various edition options it provides.
Dave Smith
Sr. Software Engineer
Nike, Inc.
(503) 671-4238
DavidH.Smith@nike.com
Lynchy
Thanks Dave for your response. That is what I will try and do I don't really have much experience in CGI or PERL but it looks like I'll be becoming familiar with it. Thanks Again
527.pdf
Adam Stoller
I think "iwlist" may be more effective for getting a list of editions for a given branch (and can be used to get the list of branches too) than "iwattrib". Or perahps I misunderstood what was being asked for?
--fish
(Interwoven Senior Technical Consultant)
Migrateduser
You are correct - I passed on a snippet of code to Lynchy via a private message that utilized iwlist, not iwattrib. Although you can use iwattrib, iwlist is easier.
Dave Smith
Sr. Software Engineer
Nike, Inc.
(503) 671-4238
DavidH.Smith@nike.com
Minus2212.pdf
Lynchy
Thanks for the code Dave.
eddie1
Proceeding along ... i guess you`ll have to pass the selected editions back to your workflow. You can save these as workflow variables which can later be accessed by the IPL script which you`ll be calling from your external task.
The IPL would then supply these edition names to the OD command that eventually initiates the deployment.
IWOV Consultant