Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Intelligence (Analytics)
Styles - Applying Styles based on Sections
Lianite
Greetings,
I have a report that requires a cross-tab with certain cells to be hidden at certain times, yet displayed elsewhere. Normally this would be simple except that when we preview the report in PDF (the required format), it renders space where the field used to be as well as borders.
I need to find someway to completely remove the elements based on the section (row grouping) that they are in.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Jordan Trulen
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
mwilliams
Hi Jordan,
Can you explain more of how your report is set up so that I understand how you're hiding a field in one group, but showing it in another? I know of the issue of the cell still showing in PDF when you hide the contents of the cell, but I'm not sure I understand the showing in one group and not in another. Thanks.
Lianite
For simplicities sake, we'll say there are three departments: 001, 002, and 003.
Department 001 has data for field: 'xyz' but not for fields: 'abc' and 'qwe'.
Department 002 has data for field: 'abc' but not for fields: 'xyz' and 'qwe'.
Department 003 has does not have data for either fields: 'abc' nor 'xyz', but does have data for 'qwe'.
So, I want to have field: 'abc' removed so there is no cell for Departments 001 and 003, 'xyz' for Departments 002 and 003, and 'qwe' for Departments 001 and 002.
So essentially, there is data for each field, but not every department has data for each field. If a department does not have data for a given field, I need to remove it so it does not display anything (including the blank cell).
I hope this makes it a bit clearer for you.
Thanks again.
I suppose I should say that it is an entire row that needs to be hidden instead of a single cell.
Lianite
This one is quite the puzzler. No idea's yet?
Lianite
So is it safe to assume that what I want to do is impossible given the current functionality of BIRT?
mwilliams
Jordan,<br />
<br />
Sorry for the delay. Can you diagram what you'd like the final output to look like based on the above example. Would it be like:<br />
<br />
<span class='bbc_underline'>Department</span>|abc,xyz, or qwe data<br />
001 | xyz data<br />
002 | abc data<br />
003 | qwe data<br />
<br />
Let me know.
Lianite
Crosstab Design:
Department | ABC
| XYZ
| QWE
Final Output:
001 | XYZ
002 | ABC
003 | QWE
Something similar to that albeit with many more fields and with totals based on departments as well. So something akin to the following:
001 | XYZ | XYZ Total
002 | ABC | ABC Total
003 | QWE | QWE Total
Hopefully that explains what you wanted.
Thank you,
Jordan Trulen
mwilliams
Jordan,
One more question. What does the data look like in the dataSet in this instance? Is it like the following?
Department | ABC | XYZ | QWE
001 | empty | data | empty
002 | data | empty | empty
003 | empty | empty | data
Or something else? If it's like this and you want them all in the same columns in your crosstab, you'd just have to create a computed column in your dataSet to mesh them all into one column to use in your dataCube.
If I'm completely off in my understanding, maybe creating a sample report with a small flat file of data to illustrate your issue would help out.
Let me know.
Lianite
Here is part of the layout in BIRT. Due to the sensitivity of some of the data, I will be unable to attach any, however by showing you a layout, I will be able to better describe exactly what is desired.
There are many departments: Packing, Receiving, Sorting, etc.
Some of the departments use Units, Cases, Packages, etc. Some use none of these, while others use a combination of these, while still others use all of them.
A good example is the section for Inbound Units, Cost Inbound Unit, Inbound Cases, and Cost Inbound Case. There is a section for Inbound that we want these rows to show for, however we do not want them to show for the Outbound section.
The same applies in both areas, the Report Order section as well as the Section Total section.
I hope this makes our requirements clearer. I will attempt to re-create a small subset of dummy information to accurately reflect what we currently have as data as well as an actual report design that I can send to you.
Thank you.
Jordan Trulen
mwilliams
Jordan,
Definitely send the made up sample of data and just a simple diagram of what you want that data to look like in the final report. Knowing the setup of the data in your dataSet is important here, I think. That's why I'm trying to figure so much out about it.
Lianite
In the attached Zip file, I have included a sample CSV of some data as well as a BMP Image of the desired output of one section. I also included the BIRT report design used to output the data.
Note: The image was modified to reflect the desired appearance of the final project.
mwilliams
Sorry, should have asked before. What version of BIRT are you using?
Lianite
Current Version: 2.5.0
mwilliams
Jordan,
Ok, I understand a lot more now about your data and setup. So, you're wanting to not have a given measure row if there is a 0 for each column? Is that what you're wanting to achieve? If so, I'll have to look into it. Let me know.
Lianite
That is correct, either 0's or nulls.
Lianite
Here's another point that might help to figure out a solution.
In each department, we know which fields need to be left out, so we know that AAA Packing does not use Units, Packages, or Measure6.
mwilliams
That could be helpful. Let me test for a little bit and see what I come up with. I'll let you know.
mwilliams
Jordan,
Unless you could get the dataSet simplified into something like:
Location | Department | Value Type | Value | Date
I don't know of any way to do this other than to set the element to invisible if it isn't needed for a given location. Then, to handle the face that there's still a cell there, disguise it with a background colored border so that it looks like it's not there.
Lianite
Thank you for looking into this for me.
Unfortunately we are unable to do as you have suggested.
Our users will have to accept having a thicker line under cells that are hidden, which is not a problem by them, however it does appear unsightly to me as a developer. But as long as the users do not mind, it will be fine.
Again, thank you for looking into this.
mwilliams
I was suggesting making the line under the hidden item be the background color, like white if that's what yours is. This way there'll just be a slightly bigger white space under the hidden elements, but it'll be less noticeable and less of an eye sore than thicker black lines.
Lianite
Good suggestion, Thank you.
mwilliams
No problem. If you would like to request an enhancement on this issue with the crosstabs, you can do so at <a class='bbc_url' href='
http://www.eclipse.org/birt/phoenix/reportabug.php'>BIRT
: Reporting Bugs and Requesting Enhancements</a>.