Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Intelligence (Analytics)
Page breaks and the BIRT viewer
stuart
Hi All,
When I view a report using the BIRT viewer, in html, the vertical spacing in the report layout is fine, however, when I introduce page breaks the vertical spacing on the first page is fine, but the second page has some much larger vertical gaps between some of the report items. When I print the report in WORD, pdf or excel it prints the vertical spacing between the report items correctly. Any ideas why the vertical spacing increases between some report items and not others when viewing a report with page breaks in html using the BIRT viewer?
Thanks.
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
mwilliams
Hi stuart,
Can you create a quick example of this issue with the sample database? Thanks.
Virgil Dodson
I've seen this before too. I think the HTML that is generated will be sized for each new page appropriate to the data on that page where the other formats have a single column width for all the pages.
You can stop this automatic behavior by assigning fixed column values... especially for the fields that are causing the problems. In my case, one city on my reports had a long city name and it was on page 2. On that page, the city field was huge and everything else was spaced smaller to accomodate. I fixed my problem by assigning a column width for the CITY column and still left the rest of the columns dynamic.
stuart
Hi Virgil & Michael,
Thanks for the replies. I'm finding that my problem is not the entries in a table but rather the rows in a grid. The report is made up of a grid that extends across several pages b/c of the page breaks. It is the spacing between the rows of the grid on the second page (even though I have given them all a height of 3mm) that is all messed up - the gaps being unusally large. Without the page breaks all is fine.
Stuart.
Virgil Dodson
hmmm, that's weird if you are not seeing words wrap. You might still play around with slightly increasing column width for any fields that look like they are filling their column width. You might also explicitly set the row height for your table row, and maybe play around with the Report layout. You can set this from Automatic layout to Fixed layout, by selecting a white area on the report, then Properties tab, then Advanced.
stuart
I found the problem. I had a specified a height setting on the grid and it seems that when you insert a page break to a middle row in the grid this height setting also applies to the new page. I removed the height setting and all works. Thanks for the help.