Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Intelligence (Analytics)
Regarding Report Templates
onlysujay
Hi,
I'm pretty much new to BIRT Reports & Report Templates. Can you please let know whether it is possible to change the report template for an existing *.bizdesign file. If yes, then how do we do it?
Actually, we have a requirement where we need to develop a new report template (which we could successfully develop & publish), however what we now need to do is to apply this template to existing report designs.
Let me know if you need any more information from my side....thanx!
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
Virgil Dodson
Hi Sujay,
I'm not sure I understand what you want to accomplish with templates. Generally, a BIRT template (*.rpttemplate file) is a starting point for a BIRT report design. This is true if you create a new report in the Eclipse based BIRT Designers, or the web based BIRT Studio.
A template is always used as a starting point, but the template loses it's connection with a BIRT Report Design (*.rptdesign) or (*.bizdesign), once the design is created.
Another BIRT capability, called BIRT Libraries (*.rptlibrary) is probably what you are looking for. Report designs maintain their connections to libraries so that changes made in the library will effect all the report designs that use it.
You can mix the two as well... so a BIRT template, can be constructed from elements from a BIRT library... so that reports created from that template maintain a connection to the library.
Starting in BIRT 2.3 and higher, you can right click on a commonly used, existing report element and then "Export to Library"
onlysujay
Hi Virgil,<br />
<br />
Thanks for the reply!<br />
<br />
I had a wrong idea about templates. I should probably focus on BIRT Libraries (*.rptlibrary).<br />
<br />
Can you provide me with one more pointer on this: If I create a new Libarary, is it possible to deploy it MANUALLY to iPortal? If so, I do I let new templates recognize the elements from this library?<br />
<br />
I was trying to modify "themes.rptlibrary" under folder "Actuate9iPortalresources", but whatever changes I made in here did not reflect when I tried to create a report with an existing sample template.<br />
<br />
I'm trying to figure these out by following instructions in the following two links:<br />
<a class='bbc_url' href='
http://www.themeswiki.org/Creating_Themes_for_BIRT'>Creating
Themes for BIRT - ThemesWiki</a><br />
<a class='bbc_url' href='
http://download.birt-exchange.com/products/demos/iportal/BRS_Template/BRS Template Design.html'>Created
by Camtasia Studio 4</a><br />
<br />
I would really appreciate if someone can point me to any other useful resources on themes & templates. Thx!
Virgil Dodson
Can you explain more about what you are doing? If you are using BIRT Studio and you want templates there, then take a look at the getting started guide at<br />
<a class='bbc_url' href='
http://www.birt-exchange.org/wiki/GSG:Getting_Started_with_BIRT_Report_Studio/'>GSG:Getting
Started with BIRT Report Studio - BIRT Wiki - BIRT Exchange</a><br />
<br />
If you just want to use libraries with BIRT report designs, then take a look here<br />
<a class='bbc_url' href='
http://www.birt-exchange.org/wiki/Using_Libraries_and_Templates_in_the_BIRT_Designer/'>Using
Libraries and Templates in the BIRT Designer - BIRT Wiki - BIRT Exchange</a>