Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Intelligence (Analytics)
Newbie Chart-Question ? which chart type to use?
iparker
Hello,
I tried to create my first charts with birt. After some time I created my first bar chart. Now I want to create a chart which outputs something like the ratio between two numbers: number one is the number of persons I need, number two is the number of person I have already booked. Another example for such kind of numbers is the number of completed tasks and the number of all tasks.
I thought that for this kind of data a meta-chart is the right option – with the number of all tasks in the lower right corner and the pointer shows to the number of completed tasks. But that’s apparently wrong…
So which other chart-type can I use for this? Thanks for some answers!
Timo
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
mwilliams
Hi Timo,
So, you want to display the value of total persons needed along with total persons booked? Or you just want to display the ratio between the two?
iparker
Hello Michael,
yes - I want to display the values. So I want to show how many personal-bookings are missing. It's for something like a cockpit-overview or an dashboard.
mwilliams
Timo,
I would guess that you could use any type of chart. You can have multiple series' in each chart. You can also have the different series' as different chart types. If you need to compute any values for this chart, there are also aggregations you can do within the chart. Let me know if you have any questions.
iparker
Hello Michael,
Thanks for your answer. I want something that looks like the meter-chart. But I think that I can't use the meta-chart for this kind of data?
mwilliams
Timo,
I would guess you could use the "super imposed meter chart" for this. It's the second option in the chart type section after choosing meter chart. So, as long as you can get the values you want to display, you can display the openings with one arrow(series) and the openings filled with another arrow(series). What does your data look like?
iparker
Hello Michael,
thanks a lot - thats exactly what I'm looking for!
mwilliams
Timo,
Glad to help. Let us know whenever you have questions!
iparker
Hello Michael,
Actually I have one more question about the meter chart: Is it possible to set the areas of the background-colour dynamically? In my example I have two arrows. Is it possible to define one colour up to the first arrow and another colour up to the second arrow?
Thanks again!
Timo
mwilliams
Timo,
I haven't tried this. I'll take a look and post an example if I am able to do what you're asking.
Virgil Dodson
There is an example of setting the Meter chart color regions using scripting at <a class='bbc_url' href='
http://www.birt-exchange.org/forum/designing-birt-reports/15736-set-chart-meter-region-runtime.html'>http://www.birt-exchange.org/forum/designing-birt-reports/15736-set-chart-meter-region-runtime.html</a><br
/>
<br />
Since that example uses hard coded values, you should also look at the example located at <a class='bbc_url' href='
http://www.birt-exchange.org/blog/2008-02-01/birt-chart-scripting-dynamic-markers/'>BIRT
Chart Scripting: Dynamic Markers » Blog - BIRT Exchange</a> for information on making row data available to you in script.