Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Intelligence (Analytics)
Difference clarification
arvindraj
Hi all,
As a newbie to BIRT and reporting, I would like to know the difference between running, rendering and executing a report. Can someone please explain?
Regards,
arvindraj
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
Virgil Dodson
Hi Arvind, In BIRT terms, you will typically see Run, Render, and RunAndRender. <br />
<br />
The Run task allows you in a Java class to pick up a BIRT Report Design (RPTDESIGN), generate the report, including data and formatting, and output a Report Document (RPTDOCUMENT).<br />
<br />
The Render task can then take a BIRT Report Document (RPTDOCUMENT) and render it to the appropriate output format, like PDF, HTML, DOC, etc. This Render task can generate one page of the output at a time... or the complete report.<br />
<br />
The RunAndRender task is a combination of the two above tasks and allows you to go directly from the BIRT Report Design (RPTDESIGN) to the final output of PDF, HTML, etc.<br />
<br />
An example of these three classes can be found at <a class='bbc_url' href='
http://www.birt-exchange.org/devshare/deploying-birt-reports/568-execute-birt-reports-from-java-class/#description'>Execute
BIRT Reports from Java class - Designs & Code - BIRT Exchange</a>
arvindraj
Hi Virgil,
I tried running the above sample provided by you.
The BIRT Platform starts and soon after I get the following exception :
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: org.eclipse.core.runtime.Platform.getExtensionRegistry()Lorg/eclipse/core/runtime/IExtensionRegistry;
at org.eclipse.birt.report.engine.api.impl.ReportEngine$EngineExtensionManager.<init>(ReportEngine.java:792)
at org.eclipse.birt.report.engine.api.impl.ReportEngine.<init>(ReportEngine.java:105)
at org.eclipse.birt.report.engine.api.impl.ReportEngineFactory$1.run(ReportEngineFactory.java:18)
at org.eclipse.birt.report.engine.api.impl.ReportEngineFactory$1.run(ReportEngineFactory.java:1)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at org.eclipse.birt.report.engine.api.impl.ReportEngineFactory.createReportEngine(ReportEngineFactory.java:14)
at com.hclt.contractm.test.birtAPI.ExecuteReport.executeReport(ExecuteReport.java:40)
at com.hclt.contractm.test.birtAPI.ExecuteReport.main(ExecuteReport.java:18)
I checked the appropriate jars on part of BIRT & Eclipse and find them to be intact, but the exception is still persistent.
Please advise.
Thanks & Regards,
arvindraj
Virgil Dodson
What version of the BIRT Runtime have you used? Also, I assume you are running these in a Java project in Eclipse, have downloaded and extracted the BIRT Runtime, and have replaced the location in the JAVA files that points to the BIRT Runtime directory.
arvindraj
Hi,
I am using birt-runtime-2_3_2 .
As mentioned above, I have extracted the runtime and set the location to the directory where the BIRT Runtime has been extracted.
Currently, the classes have been placed in a Flex project and being tested individually as a "Java application".
Regards,
arvindraj
Virgil Dodson
In addition to pointing at the BIRT runtime where it calls for that in the code, your Java project will also need to reference the libraries found in the Runtime's ReportEngine/lib folder. This is typically set up in the Java Build Path within the Project Properties
Virgil Dodson
I am moving this thread to the BIRT Engine forum.