Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Intelligence (Analytics)
multiple percentage chart?
sunadmn
Hey all I am a NB to BIRT and have a question about how the best method is to go about making a chart (pie would be nice) that has percentages of multiple items in it.
So here is an example I am writing my first real report that is reporting on Remedy tickets of a certain type. Now waht I want to build is a pie chart that show the percentage of tickets resolved by certain users, so:
user A did X%
user B did X%
user C did X%
I am aware of how to do the math to get the actual percentages, what I am unclear on is how I bind that data to the chart. Do I make computed datasets that actually do the computation of the percentages? Or do I do this in another manner?
Thanks all for your time to help!
-Stephen
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
jrep
BIRT can certainly do this, or you could do it yourself if you prefer that for some reason.
To do it in BIRT:
1. Double-click your chart, in the report template editor, to materialize the "Edit Chart" window
2. Pick the "Format Chart" tab
3. Pick the "Value Series" item in the navigator over to the left
4. Scroll, if necessary, the "Value Series" edit controls below the displayed chart, until you see the row of buttons at the bottom ("Labels," "Titles," "Interactivity")
5. Click "Labels", to materialize the "Series Labels" editor
6. In the "Values" area, over to top-right, pick "Percentile Value Data" from the drop list, and click "Add"
mwilliams
Hi Stephen,
How does your data look in your dataSet? Is it like:
Employee, JobId
A, 1
B, 2
C, 3
C, 4
B, 5
B, 6
etc.
Or is it like:
Employee, JobsCompleted
A, 1
B, 3
C, 2
Or something else? The first way above, you'd just have to use a pie chart, put in a series value of 1, make the category the employee field, and set up the grouping to COUNT in the chart. Then, on the format data tab of the chart editor, you'd go to the value series, then the labels button at the bottom and choose the "percentile value data" for your value.
For the second way, it'd be the same except you would put jobs completed in the series value and you wouldn't need to do the grouping on the category series.
Hope this helps. Let me know if you have questions.
sunadmn
Michael,
Thanks for the response and to give you a bit of insight on my dataset it's all read in from a flat csv file, so it's column,column,column data forms when read into BIRT. Here are the contents of my dataset:
Case number (obvious the case/ticket number)
Category (what type of ticket this was, in my case security)
Item (this translates in type of security request add,delete,modify)
Arrival time (when did the case get opened)
Resolved time (when was the case resolved)
Resolver (who resolved the case, this is where we want to do the percentage at)
So I am not sure my data is in the order you are thinking and I may have to compute some numbers to get where we need to be at. Does this help better explain where/what data I have?
Thanks,
-Stephen
sunadmn
Ok thanks to you guys I figured it out and got the thing working now and things are looking great.
Thanks jrep and mwilliams for helping me out here!