Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Intelligence (Analytics)
BIRT and table structures
aposstath
Hallo,
I am working on a project with BIRT, and i am a new user of it.
I find it really powerful and flexible for use.
However, I have not found a solution to the following problem: I want a "table", where i will have for example in the 1st row all the customers IDs for one country,and at the second row , for each customer its state. So, it should be visible and look like that for example:
id1 id2 id3 id4
USA NY NJ NC WC ...
and the same for other countries:
id5 id6 ............
France Paris Paris
I think the best structure would be a crossTab item, as i want also visibility of cells and lines in the table, but i do not want any SUM function in the middle cells.Or maybe i could create a table(id,state) and convert columns to rows.
Excuse me for my simple question,
I would be grateful if someone of the users could help me find the most efficient solution.
Thanks a lot,
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
mwilliams
Hi aposstath,
What does your data in your dataSet look like? I'll try to come up with a simple example. What is your BIRT version also?
aposstath
Hi mwilliams ,
Thank you for your reply and for your help.
Concerning the version, I use BIRT 2.5 as part of eclipse gallileo.
Concerning my data, i do not have yet access to my real data ( i will have next week) , but i have the report output that i should produce.
So, i train myself with the classicmodel data that are already in BIRT . And the output should be sth like a crosstab(or table with dynamic columns) where in the detail area is the state of each customer (with highlight colour behind-easy part i guess) and in the first row are the customer ids. If i use grid i can put on the left as Data item the country name that refer to i guess.
Thanks a lot for your support,
rpolunsky
Just popping in here, that's essentially a dynamic pivot query in order to transform database values into what are effectively columns. It is very much going to be a complex task. You're right that a crosstab is the simplest way to present it.
aposstath
Hi rpolunsky,
Thanks for your reply too.
Well, the crosstab looks to be a good structure, but i do not know if i will be able to use it because:
1) In the detail area, i will have string values, and not numeric, and without any function applied on them
2) I guess can not create dynamically the "columns" id1,id2,...
I can create one column ID, ( from the query select ID...), but i guess not as many columns as id numbers..
right?
Any ideas?
I wonder if i could rotate any table in BIRT
Thanks again for your support,
mwilliams
To use string values in the measure area of a crosstab, you just need to make the aggregation "FIRST" in your dataCube and in the data element in your crosstab.
aposstath
Hi mwilliams,
Thanks for your reply. I find it very important for the discussion on BIRT forum.
It would be very helpful to be be able to provide string on this detail area.
Could you please provide me with one existing example if possible? I use for example a crossTab where
1) i put on "Drop data fields to define rows here" CUSTOMERNAME
2) i put on "Drop data fields to define columns here" CUSTOMERLASTNAME
3) i put on "Drop fields to be summarized here" STATE as FIRST and as String
and i got an exception error. How could i do it ?
Thanks again for the help ,
mwilliams
aposstath,
Are you remembering to set the measure value to string and FIRST in the actual dataCube too? Or just in the crosstab? Here is an example as you describe, only I used Country rather than State so that each column had a value.
aposstath
hi mwilliams,
I really thank for the reply and for the support, The example is very helpful,and i see the point now. It is ok the report now, as i wanted it.
Thank you again mwilliams,
Best regards,
mwilliams
No problem. Let us know whenever you have questions!