Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Intelligence (Analytics)
BIRT reports in standalone application
aposstath
Hallo ,
Is it possible to integrate some report templates into a standalone application for end users ( e.g GUI application with visual editor ) ?
If yes, is there is there any document that could give simple examples?
Thanks in advance,
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
johnw
You want a standalone application that is a visual editor for reports? Then you would use the Design Engine API. I did something similar a few years ago as a proof of concept when I built a simple report editor GUI in GWT. I dont have any documentation on it offhand, but there is plenty of documentation on using the Design Engine API to build reports.
aposstath
Hi johnw,
Thank you for your reply.
Actually i will have created the reports templates. For example, i will have created 3 different reports. The end user, will have a user interface , for example 3 java buttons , each button for each one of the 3 reports.
So, he will press button1 and he will see the report1 with the unique design of the report1 but with the updated/newer data each time. ( Same structure and design for each one report only the query result will change depending on the database situation).
Is there any example for this possibility?
Thanks a lot for the support,
johnw
If we take a look at the simple report runner example from the Wiki:<br />
<br />
<a class='bbc_url' href='
http://wiki.eclipse.org/Simple_Execute_(BIRT)_2.1'>Simple
Execute (BIRT) 2.1 - Eclipsepedia</a><br />
<br />
You would just need either a simple if/then statement, or a switch statement on the open clause, so it would look something like:<br />
<br />
IReportRunnable design = null;<br />
<br />
//Open the report design<br />
switch (userInputInteger)<br />
{<br />
case REPORT1:<br />
design = engine.openReportDesign("C:/test/2.1/executereport/test1.rptdesign");<br />
break;<br />
case REPORT2:<br />
design = engine.openReportDesign("C:/test/2.1/executereport/test2.rptdesign");<br />
break;<br />
case REPORT3:<br />
design = engine.openReportDesign("C:/test/2.1/executereport/test3.rptdesign");<br />
}<br />
<br />
There are so more complex things you can with parameters to change data set based on input and use different styles and such, so you only have 1 report design to maintain, but it gets complicated. This is probably the easiest solution.<br />
Does that help?<br />
<br />
John
aposstath
Hi john,
Thank you for your interesting reply and the interesting source.
I guess it will be very helpful !
I will let you know,
Thanks,
aposstath
Hi again,
I am a bit confused. I guess i need a bit explanation if possible please.
I have created a birt report and i want to run it from a java button.
I downloaded the birt-runtime environment, but probably i set wrong classpath , as i used a code with IReportEngine and IReportRunnable, but i get full of errors.
Could someone help me step by step please ?
It is my first real birt application.
Thank you in advance,
Best Regards,
aposstath
ok i got it i have it.
thanks anyway