Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Intelligence (Analytics)
Joint Data Set Will Not Join
chorton
I have two data sets which pull data from a web service ds_VendorInfo and ds_vendorType. I'm trying to join the two on a vendorTypeID field.
I can preview records in both data sets just fine but when I setup a joint-data-set I get nothing back.
I assumed there were spaces or something in the vendorTypeID field which was causing the two not to match so I ran the request through SoapUI so I could see exactly what was being returned for the two datasets.
This is what I get from the ds_VendorInfo
<VendorTypeID>A</VendorTypeID>
This is what I get from the ds_vendorType
<VendorTypeID>A</VendorTypeID>
I cannot understand why the two won't match.
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
mwilliams
Hi chorton,
What version of BIRT are you using?
chorton
<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' data-author="mwilliams"><p>Hi chorton,<br />
<br />
What version of BIRT are you using?</p></blockquote>
<br />
From Eclipse when I go to Help-> Software Updates everything next to Eclipse BIRT says 2.3.1.
chorton
A bit more information on the matter:
One of the vendorTypes is the letter 'X'.
In the ds_VendorInfo table I can setup a data set filter condition as follows:
row["VendorTypeID"] Equal to 'X'
when I click preview record I see all the vendors with a vendorType of 'X'
However, if I do the exact same thing against the ds_vendorType data set I get nothing back. If I do not set a filter I can see the record with a vendorType of 'X'.
I don't think it's a problem with the 'joint data set' functionality not working but I'm not sure where to go from here.
Thank you for your help.
mwilliams
chorton,
I saw that there was a bug reported on joining web service dataSets in 2.3.1, but it wasn't the exact same issue. Is there any way you can download the latest version, BIRT 2.5.2, to see if you have the same issue in it? If you cannot, let me know.
chorton
<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' data-author="mwilliams"><p>chorton,<br />
<br />
I saw that there was a bug reported on joining web service dataSets in 2.3.1, but it wasn't the exact same issue. Is there any way you can download the latest version, BIRT 2.5.2, to see if you have the same issue in it? If you cannot, let me know.</p></blockquote>
<br />
I'm in the process of getting the 2.5.2 version. I did however, discover BIRT (at least the 2.3.1 version) is adding spaces or something to what is returned b/c the only way I can get my joint dataset to match is to create a computed column to both datasets trimming the vendorID field the joining the two datasets based on the computed values.<br />
<br />
I'll let you know how it goes once I get the 2.5.2 version installed and tested.<br />
<br />
Thanks again.
chorton
Newer 2.5 version did not resolve the issue. I still can't filter on the vendorTypeID without trimming it first.
mwilliams
chorton,<br />
<br />
Please log a bug for this at <a class='bbc_url' href='
http://www.birt-exchange.org/bug-reporting/'>Report
Bugs - BIRT Exchange</a>.
chorton
I did not open a bug as I found the problem was ours.
The web service is returning the full length of the field from the database. For instance, if the vendorTypeID is 25 bytes on the database we get back 25 blank fields.
SOAP UI doesn't display the whitespace which is what was throwing us off. The only way we found it was to put a .length.toString() on the end of the field to see the true length.
The response looks like this in SOAP UI
<VendorTypeID>A</VendorTypeID>
I reality, the response looks like this:
<VendorTypeID>A </VendorTypeID> (There should be 24 spaces after the A, the spaces won't display correctly on this site either.) :-)
We found the true length in a dynamic text box like this
dataSetRow["vendorTypeID"].length.toString();
Basically we have two options. 1) Trim every field at the webservice layer before the response is sent or 2) trim each field as needed from within BIRT.
Note: This isn't a response necessarily directed towards mwilliams b/c I'm sure he's already familiar with this stuff. I just thought it would be nice to document it for future reference.
Hope this helps anyone else who comes across this same issue.
mwilliams
Thanks for the update, chorton!