Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Intelligence (Analytics)
a question about data validation between different report
harry7110
I am developing some reports by birt, and some data fields of the reports should be matched each other, so I want to create a dedicated validation report, in this report I can select different report compared with each other for specified data field.
Is there any way of implementing this validation, maybe my question is that how to get the value of specified data field when I select the report which I want to compared.
Thanks.
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
mwilliams
Hi harry7110,
Can you explain this a little more in detail? Thanks.
harry7110
Thanks.
For an example, if there are report A and B, and there is a validation rule that the value of data field a in A should match the value of data field b in B. I just want to implement a validation report which is used to dynamically select the corresponding report, compare the data fields and show the results.
Can you give me any help?
mwilliams
I'm still not sure I'm understanding correctly. Is it something like you have a report A and when you click on a field in report A, you only want to see the corresponding rows in report B that match the value selected in report A? Let me know. I'm trying to imagine an actual scenario. Maybe you could show me an example of what report A would be and what report B would be and what you'd like to see as a result. Or is report B a subreport for report A and you want to show the matching data within one report? Let me know. Thanks.
harry7110
Thanks so much for you concern about this question.
Just follow the example mentioned above, there is a datafield called "Total A" calculated by a backend logic of dataset in report A, maybe this datafield is displayed as a crosstab field or something else, it doesn't matter, and also there is another datafield called "Total B" calculated by a backend logic of dataset in report B. On business side, the value of datafield "Total A" in report A should match "Total B" in report B, otherwise there maybe anything wrong in the backend logic of dataset. I can get this by rendering each report and compare them manually, but I want to know if there is anyway to do this automatically, so this is why I want to implement a validation report to do this comparison. The validation report will get the result of specified datafield from different report dynamically, if the results don't match each other, it will be highlighted.
I'm not sure if you can get my idea? Thanks.
mwilliams
harry7110,
I would guess if you brought both dataSets into one report, you could do it this way. Or, you could probably have a setup where when you run report A, you output the value you're wanting to a file of some sort and when you run report B, you do the same. Then, you would just have to access both of these files in a validation report to compare the values.
harry7110
Thanks so much, totally understood. I think the first way should be much easier but a little difficult to maintainance the consistency of the datasets between different report. Whatever I will try that.
Thanks for answering my questions patiently.
mwilliams
harry7110,
No problem. Glad to help! Let me know if you have any other questions.