Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Intelligence (Analytics)
Reports failing to parse with embedded ReportEngine
keithpower
Hi all,
I've been upgrading some reports created initially in BIRT 2.2.3 to BIRT 2.5.2. I'm updating the reports in the BIRT 2.5.2 designer then delpoying them to my own application which has the 2.5.2 engine embedded. Things work find for most reports but a few are throwing a NullPointer while parsing (see the error pasted below).
Something odd is happening. I've opened a report that runs correctly in my app then just saved it again in the designer using Save As and it doesn't work. I diff-ed the files and see that it has removed the following line from the top of the file:
<text-property name="displayName">TEXT REPLACED</text-property>
which doesn't look important. It also changes the following line in the XML detailing a table imported from a library from:
<ref-entry baseId="1066" id="1066"/>
to
<ref-entry baseId="1066" id="1066">
<property name="groupName">causeTypeGroups</property>
</ref-entry>
and the report fails to run. If I manually undo the last change, that is, revert to:
<ref-entry baseId="1066" id="1066"/
It works correctly.
Any ideas ? I'd appreciate not having to manually edit all my report designs after using the designer.
thanks,
Keith
Exception Details
java.lang.NullPointerException
at org.eclipse.birt.report.model.parser.PropertyState.generalJumpTo(PropertyState.java:348)
at org.eclipse.birt.report.model.parser.AbstractPropertyState.jumpTo(AbstractPropertyState.java:582)
at org.eclipse.birt.report.model.parser.ModuleParserHandler.startElement(ModuleParserHandler.java:251)
at org.apache.xerces.parsers.AbstractSAXParser.startElement(Unknown Source)
at org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.scanStartElement(Unknown Source)
at org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl$FragmentContentDispatcher.dispatch(Unknown Source)
at org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.scanDocument(Unknown Source)
at org.apache.xerces.parsers.XML11Configuration.parse(Unknown Source)
at org.apache.xerces.parsers.XML11Configuration.parse(Unknown Source)
at org.apache.xerces.parsers.XMLParser.parse(Unknown Source)
at org.apache.xerces.parsers.AbstractSAXParser.parse(Unknown Source)
at org.apache.xerces.jaxp.SAXParserImpl.parse(Unknown Source)
at org.eclipse.birt.report.model.parser.ModuleReader.readModule(ModuleReader.java:94)
at org.eclipse.birt.report.model.parser.ModuleReader.readModule(ModuleReader.java:206)
at org.eclipse.birt.report.model.parser.DesignReader.read(DesignReader.java:143)
at org.eclipse.birt.report.model.core.DesignSessionImpl.openDesign(DesignSessionImpl.java:241)
at org.eclipse.birt.report.model.core.DesignSessionImpl.openDesign(DesignSessionImpl.java:217)
at org.eclipse.birt.report.model.api.SessionHandleImpl.openDesign(SessionHandleImpl.java:224)
at com.ibm.tnsqm.report.engine.birt.service.util.ReportCombiner.combineReports(ReportCombiner.java:118)
at com.ibm.tnsqm.report.engine.birt.service.BIRTReportEngine.executeReport(BIRTReportEngine.java:265)
at com.ibm.sa.report.engine.service.session.ReportEngineProviderRemote.executeReport(ReportEngineProviderRemote.java:148)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:585)
at sun.rmi.server.UnicastServerRef.dispatch(UnicastServerRef.java:294)
at sun.rmi.transport.Transport$1.run(Transport.java:153)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at sun.rmi.transport.Transport.serviceCall(Transport.java:149)
at sun.rmi.transport.tcp.TCPTransport.handleMessages(TCPTransport.java:466)
at sun.rmi.transport.tcp.TCPTransport$ConnectionHandler.run(TCPTransport.java:707)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:595)
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
apeterso
I'm having the same issue when I opened my 2.5.1 report in an Eclipse with birt 2.5.2 installed. At first it opened fine, but as soon as I made a change, I got the above error in the report editor. Since then I have been unable to view my reports in the Eclipse Birt viewer.
keithpower
I processed some of the files in 2.5.1 before hitting a bug in that that made me upgrade to 2.5.2 so maybe it's something to do with that.
Manually removing the lines like
<ref-entry baseId="1066" id="1066">
<property name="groupName">causeTypeGroups</property>
</ref-entry>
back to:
<ref-entry baseId="1066" id="1066"/>
works for me, but I have to do it after every edit :-(
apeterso
I don't see those tags in my file. The templates still open, display and render fine in Birt 2.5.1 within Eclipse and Birt 2.5.2 within my application. So I guess it has to do with the all in Eclipse Birt 2.5.2 version only. I couldn't pinpoint to any specific tags within the XML that caused this error, even it looks like the problem is some of XML parsing error.
szopkoa
Hi keithpower,<br />
<br />
we suffer from the same problem. Have been recently upgraded to 2.5.2 from 2.5.1, and some of our reports throws the above exception in the designer. It is not the standalone version, we use it as Eclipse plugins.<br />
<br />
Although this exception can be caused by referencing to a not existing library property. Make sure your "groupName" property still exists under the referenced element.<br />
<br />
There is an other thread with the same problem (<a class='bbc_url' href='
http://www.birt-exchange.org/forum/designing-birt-reports/19448-strange-errors-when-using-libraries.html)'>http://www.birt-exchange.org/forum/designing-birt-reports/19448-strange-errors-when-using-libraries.html)</a>
, we also use a directory structure, but even if I edit the .rptdesign in an outside editor, I am still unable to open the design due to the above error...<br />
<br />
Cheers,<br />
Andras
sfronczak
Has anyone else had this issue or found a solution? I am trying to open BIRT 2.5.0 reports in 2.5.2 and I get the same null pointer exception. I have not been able to find a solution yet.
I do not have the causeTypeGroups tag in the reports as other people above mentioned.
sfronczak
I tried reinstalling 2.5.2 and also tried going to 2.6, all with the same result.
java.lang.NullPointerException
at org.eclipse.birt.report.model.parser.PropertyState.generalJumpTo(PropertyState.java:348)
at org.eclipse.birt.report.model.parser.AbstractPropertyState.jumpTo(AbstractPropertyState.java:582)
at org.eclipse.birt.report.model.parser.ModuleParserHandler.startElement(ModuleParserHandler.java:251)
at org.apache.xerces.parsers.AbstractSAXParser.startElement(Unknown Source)
at org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.scanStartElement(Unknown Source)
at org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl$FragmentContentDispatcher.dispatch(Unknown Source)...
sfronczak
<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' data-author="'sfronczak'" data-cid="66419" data-time="1279119590" data-date="14 July 2010 - 07:59 AM"><p>
I tried reinstalling 2.5.2 and also tried going to 2.6, all with the same result.<br />
<br />
java.lang.NullPointerException<br />
at org.eclipse.birt.report.model.parser.PropertyState.generalJumpTo(PropertyState.java:348)<br />
at org.eclipse.birt.report.model.parser.AbstractPropertyState.jumpTo(AbstractPropertyState.java:582)<br />
at org.eclipse.birt.report.model.parser.ModuleParserHandler.startElement(ModuleParserHandler.java:251)<br />
at org.apache.xerces.parsers.AbstractSAXParser.startElement(Unknown Source)<br />
at org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.scanStartElement(Unknown Source)<br />
at org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl$FragmentContentDispatcher.dispatch(Unknown Source)...<br /></p></blockquote>
<br />
FYI, our issue was with a Master Page layout we were pulling from a library that contained a label that we then tried to localize on the reports from a properties file. For some reason, when you try to localize a heading (in this case) that is in a library master page, it seems to cause issues. <br />
<br />
I believe it has to do with the fact that the library seems to need re-freshing each time we open a report in eclipse (or springsource tool suite). When we don't use the theme from the library, then the report opens fine. It still needs the library refreshed before we can preview, but at least we can open it.<br />
<br />
This is a report that worked in 2.5.0, but has this problem in 2.5.2 and 2.6.0