Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Intelligence (Analytics)
Chart - If category field values are null
kevinkris
Hi All,
I am rendering a report with chart and in this case the values of the category field are null and the chart displays it as "null" as attached in the image.
How can we deal this in runtime? What we can do to avoid this?
And also i had enabled drill down on this chart and we are getting exception as the qualification is on the "null" value.
Thanks for your answers.
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
mwilliams
Hi kevinkris,
Could you just filter out the null values? Or do you need to display them?
kevinkris
Hi Michael,
Our scenario is little different as we generate the .rptdesign files based on properties of the report given by developer. Our is a product which uses BIRT (and user doesn't know about it).
So anything we have to do is inside the .rptdesign file. We have less control on the runtime.
I can filter out the "null" values but the data is correct right? That column which i am mapping as a category field is having null values. But there are records for this chart.
For example, if you see the attached images in this thread, there are 2 tasks out there, but the object properties of that task are null.
Thanks.
mwilliams
kevinkris,
So, what are you wanting to do with the null values? Replace the axis label? Tell them there is no info for tasks with null object properties? Let me know.
kevinkris
Can we not build this URL or disable chart drill down for this element?
mwilliams
kevinkris,
You could definitely create the drill down on the chart on your own by building the URI rather than using the drill down option. Passing "null" as the URI for the null value should shut off the link, if I remember correctly.
RCCROOKIE
<p>What if you want to display the records containing the Null value? In my chart I have grouped Null cause values into an undefined category. I would like the user to be able to drill down on the Null bar chart to see the records. When I click on the Null bar in the chart I get the message:</p>
<p> </p>
<p>"The bookmark: null is invalid. Please check and reset link."</p>
<p> </p>
<p>There is an option to 'Show Exception Stack Trace' but when I click on it nothing is displayed.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>How can I drill down into the records with a Null cause (aka undefined)</p>
pricher
<p>Hi,</p>
<p> </p>
<p>It seems to me the easiest way would be to compute a new column in the data set that would output the string 'null' when the value is null and the original value when it's not null. Then, you use the computed column as grouping in the chart and bookmark in your report. I have attached an example.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Hope this helps,</p>
<p> </p>
<p>P.</p>