Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Intelligence (Analytics)
Too Many Columns
Mital
Hello,
We are using Eclipse BIRT Report Designer 2.2.1.1 version, customized and provided by Fermat company.
We have couple of reports, where there are 28-30 columns to be displayed on the report, due to which the report looks very odd and doesn't quite look nice.
We want to come up with a way by which our report columns are not reduced, but the overall report look-and-feel is nice.
I was thinking about Eclipse extension mechanism to use Rotated Text.
Is there any other way in BIRT meet the above formatting requirements?
suggestions/comments are welcome.
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
mwilliams
Hi Mital,
What is your output format? Do you ever print the reports to paper? Or are they kept electronic?
Mital
Michael,
Thanks for the reply.
The report output format can be HTML, PDF OR Excel Sheet.
The report can be printed also.
Some users want to see the report online, others want to download the report in PDF/Excel sheet and some just want to print them.
The reports with large set of columns look very odd while viewing in HTML or PDF or printing it.
mwilliams
Mital,
You could always create multiple tables with the columns split in a way among the tables so that they fit nicely in any format. You could also include a line number so that the corresponding lines from each table are easily viewed. You could also use multiple detail lines in a single table to keep the table from going wider. These are just some options besides trying to use the rotated text element.
Mital
Michael,
I have attached the screen shot for the report mock-up.
This is the final output of the report, which users are demanding.
We can't have multiple tables and data in single lines to stop the growth of the table.
We are using the tabloid page size (11 X 17) for the report, yet the report looks odd due to high number of columns (28~30)
-Mital
mwilliams
Mital,
This looks like a great use for the rotated text item. Have you tried it out yet?
Mital
Michael,
I am also thinking it on the way of rotated text.
I have looked at the example and still trying to grasp the same.
I am not effluent in JAVA or Java script, hence its taking me some time to understand and implement the rotated text logic.
If I understood correctly, the extension java files in rotatedtext folder of the tutorial extension-tutorial-1.zip have to be placed under my workspace, correct?
What would be the next steps, to include the rotatedtext as item in my BIRT report?
regards,
Mital
mwilliams
Mital,<br />
<br />
If you haven't seen this, it should show you step by step how to include the rotated text item in your reports.<br />
<br />
<a class='bbc_url' href='
http://www.birt-exchange.org/devshare/designing-birt-reports/537-birt-extension-mechanism/#'>BIRT
Extension Mechanism - Tutorials - BIRT Exchange</a>
Mital
Michael,
I have checked and verified that rotated text won't work in BIRT 2.2.1 as the API needed for the user interface( IReportItemLabelProvider ) is only introduced in BIRT 2.2.2 and later.
Any other way to get the text rotated in BIRT 2.2.1?
-Mital
mwilliams
Mital,
Not that I know of. If I find another way, I'll let you know. I'm guessing upgrading BIRT versions is not an option for you.