Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Intelligence (Analytics)
Populating a table column-by-column
Dermot
Hi, I'm using BIRT 3.2.3 on Eclipse 3.4.2
I'm trying to do something I thought would already be done but can't find it anywhere.
I have a number of columns on a page and I want to populate the columns in the order that they appear.
I only want to populate the second column only when the first column is full.
I need to do this because I want the table contents all on same page, until the page is full.
The number of elements in my table varies with each execution so I can not calculate the number of rows.
The contents of my table depend on the previous values in the table so I have to populate the cells in the table in sequence.
Any suggestions/solutions would be a great help.
Thank you.
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
Dermot
I'll try to clarify my problem a little better.
A table is normally populated one row at a time and the next row is not populated until the current row is finished.
row1:item1 | row1:item2 | row1:item3
row2:item1 | row2:item2 | row2:item3
row3:item1 | row3:item2 | row3:item3
I have a case where I want to populate the columns first. I'm looking for a way to populate the cell in row1:item1 then populate the cell in row2:item1... when the first column is populated I want to then fill in the cell in row1:item2, then the cell in row2:item2, ....
I hope that clarifies my question a little :blink:
Dermot
Another solution to my problem could be to place a table beside itself on the same page. So, at the moment I have a narrow table that spans a number of pages when printed.
table
<pagebreak>
table
<pagebreak>
table
<pagebreak>
table
But I'm trying to place all the tables on the same page.
table table table table
<pagebreak>
But I don't know if this can be done?
Dermot
For any one who needs to know, the solutions is in BIRT 2.5.2.
Quoting Jason Weathersby from another forum:
"Right now (2.5.2) the only way to do this is to use a grid
with 3 columns and put the same table in each grid and then filter the
row number(add computed column to calc rownumber) on each table. Take a
look at the attached example. You also may want to investigate crosstabs."
Regards.
nnish
<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' data-author="'Dermot'" data-cid="65404" data-time="1276090201" data-date="09 June 2010 - 06:30 AM"><p>
Hi, I'm using BIRT 3.2.3 on Eclipse 3.4.2<br />
I'm trying to do something I thought would already be done but can't find it anywhere.<br />
<br />
I have a number of columns on a page and I want to populate the columns in the order that they appear.<br />
I only want to populate the second column only when the first column is full.<br />
I need to do this because I want the table contents all on same page, until the page is full.<br />
The number of elements in my table varies with each execution so I can not calculate the number of rows.<br />
<br />
The contents of my table depend on the previous values in the table so I have to populate the cells in the table in sequence.<br />
<br />
Any suggestions/solutions would be a great help.<br />
<br />
Thank you.<br /></p></blockquote>
<br />
Did you get a solution for this ? Can you share it ?
mwilliams
Hi nnish,
As stated above in Dermot's last post, you'll have to use a grid, tables, and filters to do something like this. BIRT 2.6.0 was going to have a feature that would allow column wrapping automatically like this, but it was not finished in time for the release. It will be in a future version though.
Note: I'm moving this thread to the designing BIRT reports forum.