Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Intelligence (Analytics)
Using Aggregation(I think
trainguy
I need to use BIRT to average CPU usage for a given time frame. I have timestamps that return data 5 times a second (or more) and I need to average it per house. I am trying to go to the computed Column section of the data set. I converted the timestamp into date/time earlier, but I don't know how to use it to find averages. I'm pretty new to BIRT and was hoping one of you vets can help me out.
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
mwilliams
Hi trainguy,
Can you provide a small sample of your data and what you'd like to see? This will give me a better idea of how you're using the timestamps to figure average usage. I'll try to put together an example for you to look at. What is your BIRT version?
trainguy
Well the current reports look like this.
hour - avg - min - max
0000 - 088.91% - 059.00% - 099.00%
0100 - 086.83% - 075.00% - 099.00%
0200 - 077.58% - 065.00% - 099.00%
0300 - 091.33% - 060.00% - 099.00%
They need to be made better. I'm using BIRT 2.5. I just downloaded the latest version 2-3 weeks ago. Is there a way I can download the report and bring it up in BIRT rather than the XML file? I've copy pasted some xml files I've found, but always get errors in BIRT.
Jun 28, 2010 12:10 PM 1100626055518000
Jun 28, 2010 12:10 PM 1100626020748000
Jun 28, 2010 12:10 PM 1100626022258000
Jun 28, 2010 12:10 PM 1100626023808000
mwilliams
trainguy,
A .rptdesign file is a kind of xml file. If you download a report, you should just be able to save it as a .rptdesign file in your workspace and open it with the designer. What error are you getting? How are you copy and pasting the report?
As for the above data, I'm not sure I understand exactly. Is one of those the data in your dataSet? Do you already have the averages computed and working? Let me know. A sample of your raw dataSet data and what you want to see from that data in your report would be wonderful. If that's what the above is, let me know what I'm looking at.
Thanks!
trainguy
<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' data-author="'mwilliams'" data-cid="65973" data-time="1277751341" data-date="28 June 2010 - 11:55 AM"><p>
trainguy,<br />
<br />
A .rptdesign file is a kind of xml file. If you download a report, you should just be able to save it as a .rptdesign file in your workspace and open it with the designer. What error are you getting? How are you copy and pasting the report?<br />
<br />
As for the above data, I'm not sure I understand exactly. Is one of those the data in your dataSet? Do you already have the averages computed and working? Let me know. A sample of your raw dataSet data and what you want to see from that data in your report would be wonderful. If that's what the above is, let me know what I'm looking at.
Thanks!<br /></p></blockquote>
<br />
Well I deleted the file, and I forgot the error, but before when I would click on a rptdesign file it would just show up as XML on my browser. I copied it and pasted it in the XML tab on the designer. <br />
<br />
The first stuff part is the current reports coming from the another source. I need to use ITM (IBM Tivoli Manager) data in a BIRT report and make it better. I have the timestamp that is converted into a date and time. I have USER CPU, System CPU, and Wait CPU. I need to get the average of every hour for a 24 hour period. <br />
<br />
I also need to get older data and plot it for trend lines.
mwilliams
Something was probably wrong with the pasted xml somewhere. A single error could throw off the whole document. If you can download the report design, it's easiest to just save the XML as a .rptdesign in your workspace and then open it in the designer.
As for the first issue of the thread, I'll create a larger sample of your data and create a simple report that does what I think you might be looking for.
mwilliams
Oh, and I'm assuming you meant 2.5.2 when you said the latest version of 2.5 earlier. If this is not the case, let me know.
trainguy
<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' data-author="'mwilliams'" data-cid="65985" data-time="1277759296" data-date="28 June 2010 - 02:08 PM"><p>
Oh, and I'm assuming you meant 2.5.2 when you said the latest version of 2.5 earlier. If this is not the case, let me know.<br /></p></blockquote>
<br />
Thats it. And I appreciate this.
mwilliams
trainguy,
Here's a very simple report that shows how to bring in times and usage info and use grouping and aggregations to create an hourly averages report. You could also create a chart for the hourly usage. In another dataSet, you could bring in past data and chart trend lines. Let me know if you have any questions or would like me to go further in any part of this example.
trainguy
<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' data-author="'mwilliams'" data-cid="66044" data-time="1277917303" data-date="30 June 2010 - 10:01 AM"><p>
trainguy,<br />
<br />
Here's a very simple report that shows how to bring in times and usage info and use grouping and aggregations to create an hourly averages report. You could also create a chart for the hourly usage. In another dataSet, you could bring in past data and chart trend lines. Let me know if you have any questions or would like me to go further in any part of this example.<br /></p></blockquote>
<br />
Thanks! I learned a lot from that. Unfortunately it also means I'm using the wrong table because its only going back 2 minutes worth of data, but at least I know what to do once I find the right table. Thanks!
mwilliams
Once you find your corret database table to get the data you need, let me know if you have any questions on moving forward.
trainguy
Do you have any idea why a chart might not be visible when I run the report? All I did was change it to line and put the data on each axis.
mwilliams
If you preview and scroll down, is there any error? A chart usually will not render if there is an error with it.
trainguy
<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' data-author="'mwilliams'" data-cid="66340" data-time="1278944495" data-date="12 July 2010 - 07:21 AM"><p>
If you preview and scroll down, is there any error? A chart usually will not render if there is an error with it.<br /></p></blockquote>
<br />
No errors. Just some extra white space.
mwilliams
I'm guessing you'll not be able to reproduce this issue. Can you attach the report?
trainguy
<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' data-author="'mwilliams'" data-cid="66355" data-time="1278960802" data-date="12 July 2010 - 11:53 AM"><p>
I'm guessing you'll not be able to reproduce this issue. Can you attach the report?<br /></p></blockquote>
<br />
This is probably the right one. What I really want is the sum of the three (Wait/user/system), but at the moment I'm just trying to make data appear on the chart and worry about changing the data later.
trainguy
blank
trainguy
<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' data-author="'trainguy'" data-cid="66378" data-time="1279019938" data-date="13 July 2010 - 04:18 AM"><p>
blank<br /></p></blockquote>
<br />
<br />
Sorry forget I said anything. For some reason to quarterly table was empty and I have to use the monthly table.
mwilliams
Ha, so there was no data in the table you were using? That'll do it!
Glad you figured it out. Let us know whenever you have questions!