Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Intelligence (Analytics)
Using datatables groups and values in chart.
hesher
Hi,
I have a few data-tables (one per each report) which I would like to base some charts on.
I could not find a way to create a chart that uses the groups and aggregated values from an existing datatable.
It's kind of a hassle to redefine groups for every chart.
Is there a way to bind a chart to an existing data-table?
Tnx!
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
johnw
You have always been able to use the data in a table on a chart. You would select "Inherit Data from Container" under the data tab in the Chart builder.<br />
<br />
In BIRT 2.5.x and above, you can also inherit the grouping data as well. When you select "Inherit Data from Container", there will be a drop down box that lets you select "Inherit Columns and Groups". Aggregations are also usable.<br />
<br />
John<br />
<br />
<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' data-author="'hesher'" data-cid="66135" data-time="1278251434" data-date="04 July 2010 - 06:50 AM"><p>
Hi,<br />
<br />
I have a few data-tables (one per each report) which I would like to base some charts on.<br />
I could not find a way to create a chart that uses the groups and aggregated values from an existing datatable.<br />
<br />
It's kind of a hassle to redefine groups for every chart.<br />
Is there a way to bind a chart to an existing data-table?<br />
<br />
Tnx!<br /></p></blockquote>
hesher
<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' data-author="'johnw'" data-cid="66136" data-time="1278276574" data-date="04 July 2010 - 01:49 PM"><p>
You have always been able to use the data in a table on a chart. You would select "Inherit Data from Container" under the data tab in the Chart builder.<br />
<br />
In BIRT 2.5.x and above, you can also inherit the grouping data as well. When you select "Inherit Data from Container", there will be a drop down box that lets you select "Inherit Columns and Groups". Aggregations are also usable.<br />
<br />
John<br /></p></blockquote>
<br />
Thanks John.<br />
Do I have to place the chart inside the table for it to inherit the columns and groups?<br />
As an example, I have a table with 200 children of various heights and I create a table which groups them by ****.<br />
so..<br />
original data would be something like a set of (Height,****) and after grouping (and deleting the detail row) I get this table:<br />
<pre class='_prettyXprint _lang-auto _linenums:0'>
**** Avg Height Deviation from Total Avg
Male 175 6
Female 165 -4
</pre>
And say I want to create a chart that display the 'Deviation from Total Avg' in columns (2 Columns in this case), Where would I place the chart in my report?<br />
<br />
If I place it in the group footer it will show 2 seperate graphs, If I place it in the table general footer, I'm not sure I can display the data. (Maybe I'm wrong)<br />
<br />
Hope I'm making myself clear. :-) And thanks again for the help!!<br />
<br />
<strong class='bbc'>UPDATE </strong>- <a class='bbc_url' href='
http://www.birt-exchange.org/org/devshare/designing-birt-reports/1157-birt-using-table-aggregations-in-a-chart-example/'>This</a>example
answeres my qustion