Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Intelligence (Analytics)
Words with Underscore Getting Cut Off
kpelzer29
I have a table in a report where I noticed values in a column of one of the detail rows is partially cut off instead of wrapping to the next line. The values being cut off have underscore characters in a string. If the string has an underscore character in it and takes up more space than the width of the column, the string gets cut off and does not wrap to the next line until there is a space character. How can I include values in the table that contain one or more underscore characters so that the whole string is visible in the table?
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
mwilliams
Hi kpelzer29,
What version of BIRT are you using?
kpelzer29
Hi mwilliams,<br />
<br />
I am using BIRT version 2.6.<br />
<br />
<br />
<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' data-author="'mwilliams'" data-cid="66781" data-time="1280249027" data-date="27 July 2010 - 09:43 AM"><p>
Hi kpelzer29,<br />
<br />
What version of BIRT are you using?<br /></p></blockquote>
mwilliams
kpelzer29,
Unfortunately, this sounds like a bug where BIRT isn't recognizing the true size of the text because of the underscore. I was hoping you were using an earlier version and could upgrade to the newest version. Please log a bug for this at
http://www.birt-exchange.org/org/resources/bug-reporting/
.
thuston
It sizes correctly in my Actuate BIRT 10Sp1 (2.3.2).
Are you sure you don't have any width restrictions on any of the control's containers?
kpelzer29
I did not purposely set any width restrictions on any of the control's containers, but could you please tell me how I could check in case restrictions were made by accident?<br />
<br />
<br />
<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' data-author="'thuston'" data-cid="66792" data-time="1280265134" data-date="27 July 2010 - 02:12 PM"><p>
It sizes correctly in my Actuate BIRT 10Sp1 (2.3.2).<br />
<br />
Are you sure you don't have any width restrictions on any of the control's containers?<br /></p></blockquote>
thuston
Set your panes so you can see the Outline and Properties.
In the Outline pane, locate the Control that is getting cut off.
Now watch the Properties pane-Properties-General-Width as you climb back up the Outline structure.
kpelzer29
Thank you thuston. I checked to see if any width restrictions were made. The only width restriction I found was for the width of the table. I deleted the width size so now the field for width of the table is blank. The strings with underscore characters longer than the width of the column are still being cut off until there is a space character. <br />
<br />
<br />
<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' data-author="'thuston'" data-cid="66811" data-time="1280328723" data-date="28 July 2010 - 07:52 AM"><p>
Set your panes so you can see the Outline and Properties.<br />
In the Outline pane, locate the Control that is getting cut off.<br />
Now watch the Properties pane-Properties-General-Width as you climb back up the Outline structure.<br /></p></blockquote>
mwilliams
Like I said before, it sounds like a bug to me if it doesn't cut it off if you don't underscore the text, but it does if you do. What font and size are you using in your text that gets cut off when underscored but not when not underscored? Can you reproduce your issue with the sample database or with no database and attach the report in here? Thanks.
kpelzer29
I logged this as a bug as you requested. One of the comments says it was "Set as Verified", but at the top of the bug report it says "VERIFIED INVALID". Would you still like me to reproduce the problem I am having?<br />
<br />
<br />
<a class='bbc_url' href='
https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=321133'>Bug
Report</a><br />
<br />
<br />
<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' data-author="'mwilliams'" data-cid="66814" data-time="1280332030" data-date="28 July 2010 - 08:47 AM"><p>
Like I said before, it sounds like a bug to me if it doesn't cut it off if you don't underscore the text, but it does if you do. What font and size are you using in your text that gets cut off when underscored but not when not underscored? Can you reproduce your issue with the sample database or with no database and attach the report in here? Thanks.<br /></p></blockquote>
mwilliams
Yes, if you could reproduce it, that'd be great. As thuston is saying, I don't see it happening in mine. If you are able to reproduce it, pass it along. Also, could you post the bug report in here so I can see it?
kpelzer29
I was able to reproduce the problem I am having with a .csv file as my data source, but I get a message when I try to upload the .csv file that I am not permitted to upload that kind of file. I will work on creating an example using the sample database.<br />
<br />
Here are the bug reports I created:<br />
<br />
<a class='bbc_url' href='
https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=321133'>Bug
Report 1</a><br />
<a class='bbc_url' href='
http://ted.birt-exchange.org/show_bug.cgi?id=159'>Bug
Report 2</a><br />
<br />
<br />
<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' data-author="'mwilliams'" data-cid="66890" data-time="1280437222" data-date="29 July 2010 - 02:00 PM"><p>
Yes, if you could reproduce it, that'd be great. As thuston is saying, I don't see it happening in mine. If you are able to reproduce it, pass it along. Also, could you post the bug report in here so I can see it?<br /></p></blockquote>
kpelzer29
<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' data-author="'kpelzer29'" data-cid="66901" data-time="1280489487" data-date="30 July 2010 - 04:31 AM"><p>
I'll try sending the data file as a zipped file or text file.<br /></p></blockquote>
mwilliams
If you rename your csv file something like fileName.csv.txt, it'll attach. Or, if you just replace the .csv portion with .txt, it'll work. Then, I can change it back to .csv when I download it.
kpelzer29
Attached are the files I created in order to reproduce the problem I am having. I tried to rename my csv file like you suggested, but for some reason even though I renamed the file using the .txt extension, it was still placing the .csv extension at the end of the file name. I was able to attach the .cvs file as a zipped file. Please let me know if this works for you. Thank you again for all your help!<br />
<br />
<br />
<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' data-author="'mwilliams'" data-cid="66910" data-time="1280503671" data-date="30 July 2010 - 08:27 AM"><p>
If you rename your csv file something like fileName.csv.txt, it'll attach. Or, if you just replace the .csv portion with .txt, it'll work. Then, I can change it back to .csv when I download it.<br /></p></blockquote>
kdureidy
Hi kpelzer29
to solve this issue you need to force wrapping on the data item like this
<div STYLE="word-wrap:break-word; width: 50px"><VALUE-OF>row["Device"]</VALUE-OF></div>
set the width of the DIV TAG as you need depending on the column width.
Thanks,
Khalil.
kpelzer29
I am new to BIRT. Can you please tell me where to put the code below for the data item? <br />
<br />
<div STYLE="word-wrap:break-word; width: 50px"><VALUE-OF>row["Device"]</VALUE-OF></div><br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' data-author="'kdureidy'" data-cid="66923" data-time="1280731775" data-date="01 August 2010 - 11:49 PM"><p>
Hi kpelzer29<br />
<br />
to solve this issue you need to force wrapping on the data item like this<br />
<div STYLE="word-wrap:break-word; width: 50px"><VALUE-OF>row["Device"]</VALUE-OF></div><br />
set the width of the DIV TAG as you need depending on the column width.<br />
<br />
Thanks,<br />
Khalil.<br /></p></blockquote>
mwilliams
kpelzer29,
This looks like something that you'd put in a text element. Be sure to change the type from Auto to HTML in your text editor for the text element.