Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Intelligence (Analytics)
upgrading RCP Designer
dbh03079
I am currently using the RCP Designer 2.5.2 and would like to upgrade to 2.6. What are the recommended steps for doing this so that my workspace and configuration setting are preserved after upgrading?
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
mwilliams
Hi dbh03079,
I would recommend creating a copy of your workspace and testing your report designs in 2.6 prior to upgrading completely so that you can find any issues that need to be fixed prior to fully committing. This way, if you find something that has changed that makes one of your reports not work correctly or how you want now, you don't mess up anything with the version you had. That would also give you the opportunity to submit bugs on issues so that they might be fixed by the 2.6.1 or 2.6.2 release if you happen to find one.
Hope this helps.
dbh03079
Thanks Michael. So, I can unpack RCP Designer 2.6 into a new directory and copy the workspace folder from the old 2.5.2 directory into the new one. Is there anything from the "configuration" folder in the old 2.5.2 directory that I should take? It doesn't look like it, but just want to make sure.
dbh03079
Speaking of the workspace folder, is there a way to tell BIRT to always use a particular workspace folder?
In particular, a coworker of mine associated .rptdesign in Windows to open with BIRT.exe. The issue is that when he double-clicks a .rptdesign file in Windows Explorer, BIRT opens up but it also creates a new workspace folder in the same directory as the rptdesign file.
mwilliams
As far as copying anything over from the configuration file, normally you wouldn't need to unless you have made changes to the one in the earlier version that you need to bring over to the new version. For the issue with BIRT creating a workspace each time, I have not seen this, but I use the all in one designer and save all my report designs to my workspace which is viewed from the designer, so I open all my .rptdesigns from there. If I find anything out, I'll post in here.