Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Intelligence (Analytics)
Can I reuse a dataset to pull similar data?
Rhall
My problem in a nutshell: I have a series of SQL queries that are pulling header information for a receipt (name, address, email, etc) and I would like to reuse these data sources to pull the same information for the customer. Is this possible? Am I better off creating new data sets? My sincere thanks to whomever is able to assist me!
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
mwilliams
Hi Rhall,
I'm not sure I'm completely understanding, but you can definitely reuse dataSources and dataSets across reports. The easiest way to do this is to put your dataSource and dataSet into a library and then bring it into your report. Then, any changes you make to the dataSource or dataSet in the library will be inherited by each report you used those items in.
Hope this helps.
thuston
If you want to adjust your query but not your report layout Table bindings, you only have to ensure the column names do not change (use alias in your SQL).
Rhall
Thanks for the quick reply mwilliams! I'll try to clarify. <br />
<br />
I would like to reuse a dataSet within the same report, but altered slightly to pull different information based on whether I want a companies mailing address or their client's. As it stands, I have separate queries to get the respective data. The SQL is nearly identical, and I would only need to change one line to get the different information. I was hoping I could use a parameter to change the query, but this should be transparent to the report user. Is it possible to pass a parameter based on the container (grid) or are all parameters passed from the user?<br />
<br />
My sincere apologies if this is equally confusing. <br />
<br />
<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' data-author="'mwilliams'" data-cid="67963" data-time="1283279354" data-date="31 August 2010 - 11:29 AM"><p>
Hi Rhall,<br />
<br />
I'm not sure I'm completely understanding, but you can definitely reuse dataSources and dataSets across reports. The easiest way to do this is to put your dataSource and dataSet into a library and then bring it into your report. Then, any changes you make to the dataSource or dataSet in the library will be inherited by each report you used those items in.<br />
<br />
Hope this helps.<br /></p></blockquote>
thuston
The Table and Grid both allow you to update the DataSet parameters (before query execution) in the Bindings tab.
Rhall
Wow, right before my eyes the whole time. Thanks Thuston, you've saved me a lot of redundancy ^_^ <br />
<br />
<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' data-author="'thuston'" data-cid="67971" data-time="1283288706" data-date="31 August 2010 - 02:05 PM"><p>
The Table and Grid both allow you to update the DataSet parameters (before query execution) in the Bindings tab.<br /></p></blockquote>