Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Intelligence (Analytics)
Accessing Datasource properties in Events
shikaris
I have a need to support multiple database engines for my reporting application. However, these database engines have minor but breaking differences in SQL syntax (e.g. MySQL references another database's table database.table while SQL Server does it database..table etc...)
I am using JNDI to provide the datasource information. I am trying to find a good approach to achieve "database engine independence."
I am considering
1. Externalize the queries - so all the dataset queries are in files and the right SQL gets deployed based on the environment/ database engine
2. Programmatically read the driver type and based on it alter the query. My question is regarding this. How do I access the driver type property programmatically
Also, is there a better way to achieve "database independence."
TIA
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
averma
Hi TIA,
You could fetch datasource properties of the dataset in your report though scripting and modify the sql query based on the property values.
BIRT Information Objects provides the metadata layer approach that will give you database independence you want. You can learn more about this commercial product here:
http://www.actuate.com/products/information-objects/summary/
Here is the link to product documentation:
http://www.birt-exchange.com/be/documentation/Manuals10SP1/designing-information-objects.pdf
Ashwini