Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Intelligence (Analytics)
Customizing Required Parameter Pop-up Message
kpelzer29
I have required parameters in a report. If the user does not select a value for one of the required parameters, the following pop-up message box appears:<br />
<br />
<strong class='bbc'>Warning: Value of required parameter [<em class='bbc'>parameterName</em>] is not specified.</strong><br />
<br />
<em class='bbc'>parameterName</em> refers to the name of the parameter not selected. Is there a way I can customize the pop-up message? I am thinking it would be good if I had more control in what is displayed in the pop-up message box to give the user more instructions as to what is missing and still needs to be selected.
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
johnw
Not without some customization and recompiling of the Web Viewer project. My honest recommendation is use an external parameter page and pass the values in, then you can do whatever you need.<br />
<br />
<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' data-author="'kpelzer29'" data-cid="68042" data-time="1283381142" data-date="01 September 2010 - 03:45 PM"><p>
I have required parameters in a report. If the user does not select a value for one of the required parameters, the following pop-up message box appears:<br />
<br />
<strong class='bbc'>Warning: Value of required parameter [<em class='bbc'>parameterName</em>] is not specified.</strong><br />
<br />
<em class='bbc'>parameterName</em> refers to the name of the parameter not selected. Is there a way I can customize the pop-up message? I am thinking it would be good if I had more control in what is displayed in the pop-up message box to give the user more instructions as to what is missing and still needs to be selected.<br /></p></blockquote>
kpelzer29
Hi johnw,<br />
<br />
Thank you for your help. Do you happen to know where I can find more information about customizing and recompiling the Web Viewer project? The only resource I have found online is: <br />
<br />
<a class='bbc_url' href='
http://www.birt-exchange.org/org/devshare/deploying-birt-reports/298-2-2-birt-tag-library/'>Tips
on building a custom parameter page</a> <br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' data-author="'johnw'" data-cid="68047" data-time="1283403238" data-date="01 September 2010 - 09:53 PM"><p>
Not without some customization and recompiling of the Web Viewer project. My honest recommendation is use an external parameter page and pass the values in, then you can do whatever you need.<br /></p></blockquote>
JasonW
If you just want a simple change, the message is in the message.properties file of the viewer.
birt.viewer.error.parameterrequired=Value of required parameter [{0}] is not specified.
Or you can modify the BirtParameterDialog.js file located in the webcontent/birt/ajax/ui/dialog folder of the viewer. Look for
alert( birtUtility.formatMessage( Constants.error.parameterRequired, paramName ) );
Neither of these methods requires a recompile.
Jason
Freddie_M
<p>Hi Jason</p>
<p>Can you localize the Validation Message as well in order to take the user local into account ? </p>
<p>Thanks and regards</p>
<p>Fred.</p>