Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Intelligence (Analytics)
Filtering columns in a dataset
srijit
Hi,
Im using birt report and i have a requirement in which the client selects a set of columns and i need to display the data of those columns in a report.
I have a list of column that the user selects and the dataset having all the 60 columns.
I need to filter the necessary columns and display.
I need a way to filter the columns in the dataset dynamicaly just before displaying the dataset.
Regards
Srijit
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
kosta
Hi Srijit,
I don't know if this solution is the most elegant but try to make another data set with your columns for your table.
For one report you can define more data sets.
But if you want to use the main data set and then to filter the columns in one step on the same table I don't know any solution for that yet. Maybe the admins and moderators or more experienced users know more about that.
Or maybe you should rethink or redesign the data set somehow for this issue.
Greets,
Kosta
srijit
Hi,
I agree with your point.
I want to know how to make another data set from my current data set. Can i get some sample code for that?
Regards
Srijit
kosta
Hi Srijit,
are you using the report designer (the GUI) or trying to code in java using the birt-runtime.
Using the GUI report designer you need to create new data set for your data source.
If you are not familiar with the tool try to find some tutorials on the BIRT homepage or topic here in forum.
http://www.eclipse.org/birt/phoenix/tutorial/
For using the birt-runtime there are also simple samples.
http://wiki.eclipse.org/Examples_(BIRT)
Try using the GUI first.
If you know how to use the GUI then create the data set via SQL-statement/XML-path and there choose the columns you need.
Cheers,
Kosta
srijit
Hi ,
The link given does not have the required content. My problem is that i am not able to generate report dynamically as the number of columns to be displayed is not fixed.
I have a dataset having all the 60 columns. I need to filter the columns from the dataset , and then generate a new dataset.
After this I need to write a code to display the content of the filtered dataset in the report.
I wanted to know if this can be done??
Regards,
Srijit
thuston
Why don't you design for all 60 data fields and use Visibility expressions to hide Report Table columns or controls?
srijit
I there a way to dynamically enable and disable columns fields in a birt report? if so can you please provide some sample code. I tried searching for it but could not find any ..
Regards
Srijit
srijit
Also making the columns invisible will leave a gap in between the tables. This does not look good. We need to find a way to dynamically change the column fields in the report.
I was planning to create a new subset of the data set and then display the dataset on the screen.
But i have few implementation issues.
1. How to create a subset of the dataset in my handler.
2. How to dynamically create the column fields in the report based on the filtered dataset.
Any help on these matters would be very helpful
Regards,
Srijit
thuston
If you make the Control invisible it will have a gap. If you make the Table column invisible there is no gap.
srijit
<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' data-author="'thuston'" data-cid="68692" data-time="1285246520" data-date="23 September 2010 - 05:55 AM"><p>
If you make the Control invisible it will have a gap. If you make the Table column invisible there is no gap.<br /></p></blockquote>
<br />
Yes but how do i pass the list of strings to the java script in the report ?