Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Intelligence (Analytics)
Dynamically changing property values
Megha Nidhi Dahal
Hi All,
Earlier during 2.3 days, we used to make a template out of the designer file, i.e. we used to replace the db credential property values with something like this:
<property name="odaDriverClass">%DRIVER%</property>
<property name="odaURL">%LOCAL_CONNECTION%</property>
<property name="odaUser">%USERNAME%</property>
<property name="odaPassword">%PASSWORD%</property>
So, later we had a small program which used to replace these user specific parameters, by reading from another file.
Example:
%USERNAME% would be replace by say 'sa' and %PASSWORD% would be replaced by say 'welcome'.
It worked very well.
But now in 2.5 and 2.6, it doesn't work. I think, that is because the property "odaPassword" is considered as encrypted i.e. decryption of welcome, is considered as the actual password.
If that is the case, I have two options, either to keep an encrypted data in the template (no idea on how to do that), or somehow let the engine know that the property is not encrypted and can be used as it is.
I guess this is an everyday requirement, so there should be some work around. Anything that I should do?
regards
Arpan
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
Linda Chan
Arpan,
Both of those 2 options you listed are not straight forward to implement.
How about using instead the build-in Property Binding feature instead? Or extract the local connection properties to an external connection profile store, so you can swap the profile store to contain property values that point to your specific deployment environment as needed.
Linda
Megha Nidhi Dahal
<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' data-author="'Linda Chan'" data-cid="68906" data-time="1285804842" data-date="29 September 2010 - 05:00 PM"><p>
Arpan,<br />
<br />
Both of those 2 options you listed are not straight forward to implement.<br />
How about using instead the build-in Property Binding feature instead? Or extract the local connection properties to an external connection profile store, so you can swap the profile store to contain property values that point to your specific deployment environment as needed.<br />
<br />
Linda<br /></p></blockquote>
<br />
Linda,<br />
<br />
Thank you very much. I have worked with BIRT for a couple of months, but I always used the flat file approach. This was the first time I was trying to use query in data set.<br />
<br />
I overlooked the property binding option in data source, it would definitely help me.<br />
<br />
thanks & regards<br />
Arpan