Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Intelligence (Analytics)
On grouping data in table AND chart
Macamba
If I have a dataset containing:<br />
<pre class='_prettyXprint _lang-auto _linenums:0'>
System Month Priority downtime
System 01 8 2 12
System 01 9 1 2
System 01 9 1 33
System 01 10 1 1065
System 01 10 1 66
System 01 10 2 1295
System 01 10 2 8
...
System 02 8 1 375
System 02 8 3 82
System 02 9 2 7
System 02 9 2 42
System 02 10 4 28770
....
System 0n 9 2 770
System 0n 10 1 3643
System 0n 10 1 649
</pre>
and need to report on average downtime per month per system and priority in table AND chart I take it this is not feasible in the default Birt. Is the correct assumption?<br />
<br />
I am able to get the average downtime per priority per system for the last month using extensive grouping and aggregating. However, I am not able to use this data in a chart, as the chart needs to use data from a dataset (and not from the table created using grouping and aggregating). Is this also a correct assumption?<br />
<br />
Hence my turn to scripting. I plan to use a collection with system names (object) that have a two-dimensional array (months by priority) in which I plan to store the results of queries I execute to display the results in the report table elements. I want to use the collection with system names for the chart too. Is this a feasible approach? Or do I create a new dataset containing this result?<br />
<br />
So the actual question I ask is am I making it to difficult, or am I on the right track?
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
Hans_vd
Are you getting the data from a database?
In that case you might want to consider doing the grouping in your query:
- your report will probably run faster as you'll have the database doing what it is really good at
- you keep the report clean and easy
- you limit the data traffic from the DB to your report
Hope this helps
H.