Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Intelligence (Analytics)
export to xls using tribix xls emitter error
karen
Hi,
I'm using BIRT 2.5.1.
To export the report in ms Excel 2000, I added the Tribix xls emitter2.5.1 and its dependencies under the platform/plugins/,and removed the built-in BIRT XLS emitter(named as org.eclipse.birt.report.engine.emitter.prototype.excel_*.), it works fine.
But when the file was wide enough, an error happened: Maximum column number is 255.
How can i solve this problem?
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
mwilliams
That is the maximum with that Excel allows, that's why you're getting that notification. Are you using a crosstab? If so, you could set the column area page break interval to a value less than 255 and I believe the emitter will start a new sheet for the next page.
karen
<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' data-author="'mwilliams'" data-cid="69194" data-time="1286547790" data-date="08 October 2010 - 07:23 AM"><p>
That is the maximum with that Excel allows, that's why you're getting that notification. Are you using a crosstab? If so, you could set the column area page break interval to a value less than 255 and I believe the emitter will start a new sheet for the next page.<br /></p></blockquote>
<br />
It has the same problem when using tribix emitter and EXCEL2003.<br />
There's no problem when using the built-in emitter and EXCEL2003.<br />
I suppose it happens due to the tribix emitter?
mwilliams
You're able to do more than 255 columns in 1 sheet with the standard emitter?
karen
<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' data-author="'mwilliams'" data-cid="69230" data-time="1286812067" data-date="11 October 2010 - 08:47 AM"><p>
You're able to do more than 255 columns in 1 sheet with the standard emitter?<br /></p></blockquote>
Yes
mwilliams
Are you using Excel 2007? The limit in the older versions was 255 columns, I believe, and that was expanded as of the 2007 version. Maybe the Tribix emitter has a check for this "old" limit and gives an error when you go over it.
karen
<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' data-author="'mwilliams'" data-cid="69266" data-time="1286900796" data-date="12 October 2010 - 09:26 AM"><p>
Are you using Excel 2007? The limit in the older versions was 255 columns, I believe, and that was expanded as of the 2007 version. Maybe the Tribix emitter has a check for this "old" limit and gives an error when you go over it.<br /></p></blockquote>
<br />
mwilliams,<br />
After much investigation, I draw the conclusion as following:<br />
<br />
1. Birt buit-in xls emitter:<br />
The exported xls file's column number is equal to actual dynamic data column number?there's no redundant columns.<br />
For example,I have 100 columns of data to show. The column number of exported xls file using built-in xls emitter is also 100.<br />
<br />
2?Tribix xls emitter:<br />
The exported xls file's column number is much larger than the actual dynamic data column number?there's much redundant columns.<br />
For example,I have 100 columns of data to show,but the column number of exported xls file using Tribix xls emitter may be 300,which is larger than the allowed 255 columns.<br />
<br />
So it's easy to come to an >255 columns exception when using Tribix xls emitter,even though its exported xls file can be opened using Excel2000.And that is what happened to me...<br />
<br />
<br />
By the way,I'm not using EXCEL2007,so I'm not sure whether it allows columns larger than 255.<br />
<br />
Thank you for your advice of using column page break!
mwilliams
Thanks for the details. I kinda wondered if something like that was happening, but I thought you were saying you had more than 255 columns, so I was a bit confused.
Not a problem! Always glad to help! Let us know whenever you have questions.