Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Intelligence (Analytics)
Column wrapping in a table
JayJ
Hello
Need your help !
I am new to BIRT and this is my first report.
I need to develop a report where a table has 2 columns and has hundreds of records. The requirement is to split the rows across columns - for example say the 2 columns are Name and Phone #. I need to have a table with these 2 columns repeated 4 times (4 column sets). So, the number of rows need to be split 4 times.
If the # of rows is 13, then the first column set will have 4 records (1 - 4), the second column set will have the next 4 records (5 - 8), the third column set will have the next 4 records (9 - 12) and the fourth column set will have the last record (13).
What would be the best approach ?
I tried using nested tables - 1 table for each column set and used some pagination logic using row["__rownum"] and record count (aggregation column binding). But, the query will be executed once for each column set i.e. 4 times for each table.
Please advice...
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
mwilliams
Hi Jay,
The best way currently will be to use a 4 column grid, 4 tables and filters. With caching in newer versions, I believe the query will only be run once. This is a feature that was going to be in BIRT 2.6, but was pushed back when it wasn't ready in time. I'm not sure when it will make it in. You could always request an enhancement for it to let them know that one more person is wanting the feature. You might look for the original request and place a "vote" for it.
http://www.birt-exchange.org/org/resources/bug-reporting/
JayJ
Thanks Michael for confirming the approach.
Where can I find more information about the BIRT built-in variables ? I am not too confident with the row["__rownum"] variable even though it kind of works as I do not have too much insight. I was thinking to use the computed runningcount instead. Please advice.
I will add to the bug report soon.
mwilliams
I always use a running count computed column to do this.
JayJ
Thanks Michael
Is there a place where I can find more information about the BIRT built in variables like the rownum ?
mwilliams
The documentation, the help within the birt designer, and asking questions in here are probably your best resources.
http://www.birt-exchange.com/be/downloads/documentation/