Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Intelligence (Analytics)
Cross tab columns in wrong order
Darcy
I have a cross tab where the columns are displaying in the wrong order despite being in the correct order in the data source. How do I move the columns? Also can I change the text orientation of a row title to display sideways?
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
mwilliams
Hi Darcy,
Are you talking about the column dimensions? If so, I believe they default to alphabetical/numerical order. If you're wanting them in the order in which they are in the database, you could create a "runningcount" computed column called "rank", then add rank as an attribute to the column dimension in your dataCube by double clicking on the column dimension field in the dataCube editor and then adding the attribute in the pop up.
As for displaying the label as rotated text, you could add the custom report item for rotated text:
http://www.birt-exchange.org/org/devshare/designing-birt-reports/537-birt-extension-mechanism/
Darcy
<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' data-author="'mwilliams'" data-cid="69429" data-time="1287151148" data-date="15 October 2010 - 06:59 AM"><p>
Hi Darcy,<br />
<br />
Are you talking about the column dimensions? If so, I believe they default to alphabetical/numerical order. If you're wanting them in the order in which they are in the database, you could create a "runningcount" computed column called "rank", then add rank as an attribute to the column dimension in your dataCube by double clicking on the column dimension field in the dataCube editor and then adding the attribute in the pop up.<br />
<br />
As for displaying the label as rotated text, you could add the custom report item for rotated text:<br />
<br />
<a class='bbc_url' href='
http://www.birt-exchange.org/org/devshare/designing-birt-reports/537-birt-extension-mechanism/'>http://www.birt-exchange.org/org/devshare/designing-birt-reports/537-birt-extension-mechanism/</a><br
/></p></blockquote>
Darcy
Hi
Thanks for your reply.
I'm fairly new to BIRT but yes, I think I am talking about column dimensions. The titles aren't coming out in alphabetical order though, the one that should be last has just moved to the beginning. I'll have a go at the 'runningcount' thing though but how do I do it?
I'll also have a go at creating the custom report item for the rotated text.
mwilliams
Darcy,
Can you attach a screenshot of your out of order headers?
Darcy
<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' data-author="'mwilliams'" data-cid="69441" data-time="1287185047" data-date="15 October 2010 - 04:24 PM"><p>
Darcy,<br />
<br />
Can you attach a screenshot of your out of order headers?<br /></p></blockquote>
<br />
<br />
Hi <br />
<br />
Screenshot attached. Sorry for the delay, I've been out of the office. <br />
<br />
Regards<br />
Darcy
mwilliams
Hmmm, without being able to play with the report, I'm not sure why that would happen. You can always create a computed column in your dataSet that gives them the numerical value of their order, then in your dataCube, you can click on the column dimension, choose "edit" from the right side, and then add this new numerical column as an attribute. Then, you'll be able to sort your crosstab by this attribute column.
Darcy
Hi Michael
Yay, that worked. My columns are now in the correct order.
Thanks very much for you help. I'm sure I will be posting other problems shortly!!
Regards
Darcy
mwilliams
Glad to help! Hopefully I'll be able to help with your soon to come questions!
Marco2
<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' data-author="'mwilliams'" data-cid="69429" data-time="1287151148" data-date="15 October 2010 - 06:59 AM"><p>
Hi Darcy,<br />
<br />
Are you talking about the column dimensions? If so, I believe they default to alphabetical/numerical order. If you're wanting them in the order in which they are in the database, you could create a "runningcount" computed column called "rank", then add rank as an attribute to the column dimension in your dataCube by double clicking on the column dimension field in the dataCube editor and then adding the attribute in the pop up.<br />
<br />
As for displaying the label as rotated text, you could add the custom report item for rotated text:<br />
<br />
<a class='bbc_url' href='
http://www.birt-exchange.org/org/devshare/designing-birt-reports/537-birt-extension-mechanism/'>http://www.birt-exchange.org/org/devshare/designing-birt-reports/537-birt-extension-mechanism/</a><br
/></p></blockquote>
<br />
Hi,<br />
<br />
I work with a scripted dataset, and I cannot find a way to add a computed field there. Where else in a report design can I add the creation of a rank?<br />
<br />
Can you give me an example of the expression for the computation of the rank.<br />
<br />
I have multiple dimensions, some group as dates, others grouped by fields of the dataset. Now I need these dimensions in the original order in the dataset.<br />
<br />
Thanks,<br />
Marco
mwilliams
Marco,
In a scripted dataSet, you have access in your Fetch method to create a new field for your rank based on another field's value. This would be the same thing as a "computed column" in other types. Just remember to define the column in your dataSet and you should be able to do the same as above!
Hope this helps.