Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Intelligence (Analytics)
Data Cube
dan3874
I have a data cube that pulls from a data set which cannot be limited enough in the number of items it pulls back through the SQL statement.
I want to limit the number of columns pulled back due to space in my report design. I tried putting script in the "onCreate" hook for the data field that pulls too many results. Here is the script I placed there:
var columnCount = this.getRowData().getColumnCount();
if (columnCount > 8) {
// want to stop building data cube
return false;
} else {
// continue to construct data cube
return true;
}
I'd love some help to learn where I should place the script and what it should be to limit the number of columns returned in a data cube.
Also, if anyone has a stronger reference than the "Integrating and Extending BIRT" manual for scripting I'd love it!
Dan
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
mwilliams
Hi Dan,
So, you can't limit the dataSet? You have to stop the expansion of the dataCube/crosstab? You just don't want to show results in the crosstab past 8 columns? Let me know.
dan3874
<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' data-author="'mwilliams'" data-cid="70087" data-time="1289233918" data-date="08 November 2010 - 09:31 AM"><p>
Hi Dan,<br />
<br />
So, you can't limit the dataSet? You have to stop the expansion of the dataCube/crosstab? You just don't want to show results in the crosstab past 8 columns? Let me know.<br /></p></blockquote>
Yes, here's what I've found so far:<br />
1. This report must run under two different circumstances; 1) by an individual patient, 2) by a department for each patient in that department.<br />
2. If I set up the report to run with the patient as a parameter, I can easily limit the amount of data returned, ether at the SQL level within the DataSet or through the filter option at the CrossTab because the patient has been identified prior to the SQL running, so everything pulled out of the database is based on this patient.<br />
3. If I run the report with the department as a parameter, I can group by patient and limit the data displayed at the CrossTab with a filter by patient. However, as soon as I try to add the additional filter of the TopN, I get a red text error and the report will not run - however I get nothing indicating what the problem is.<br />
4. The last 8 column limit is designed to keep the report readable. Otherwise, if the patient has too many results for the space where the CrossTab resides, the data becomes unreadable and clinical personnel believe the report is "broken".<br />
<br />
Thanks for any input.