Good day,<br />
<br />
I am getting slowly my orientation with the Actuate iServer Express there are a few things I don't completely get or understand.<br />
<br />
If you go to the management console you can go to the Volume controls as Administrator and go to the Volume properties. <br />
<br />
Here you get a few options even Archiving & Purging but the options that are provided in the iServer Express 11 are more related to Purging then Archiving I tried a lot of settings but the option Archive files before deletion is for me uncheckable in any situation.<br />
<br />
If I read the <a class='bbc_url' href='
http://www.birt-exchange.com/be/documentation/R11/mcexpress/help/wwhelp/wwhimpl/js/html/wwhelp.htm'>Help files</a>, In the section <strong class='bbc'>Installing BIRT iServer Express</strong> > <strong class='bbc'>Preparing to install BIRT iServer Express</strong> > <strong class='bbc'>Backing up the Encyclopedia volume database</strong> I read:<br />
<br />
<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' ><p>An Actuate system administrator must take all necessary precautions to ensure that this database is properly backed up to safeguard the Encyclopedia volume metadata. Please consult Actuate Support at the time of installation if you have any questions about these backup procedures to protect against the possibility of catastrophic failure.</p></blockquote>
<br />
Witch tells me all files are directly stored in the postgress database even if I generate a PDF file.<br />
<br />
This gives me a few questions:<br />
<br />
1. There is no file level archiving as far as I can tell I can not make a policy that does actions like move reports from <em class='bbc'>sales/weekly reports</em> to <em class='bbc'>sales/weekly reports archive</em> nor can I archive files that are older then a year I can only purge them.<br />
<br />
2. you need to backup the database so just restoring a part of the files (eg like a normal backup) or reverte one file is more complex.<br />
<br />
3. Are there any best practices around the backing up and archiving of reports from the iServer Express?<br />
<br />
Thanks for any insight you can give me.