Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Intelligence (Analytics)
Is BIRT the right tool for me?
ehnolte
Hi
I am new to BIRT reporting and have to build a set of management reports for a company I am consulting for.
I have used JasperReports in the past but decided to try something else this time. I read the obligatory comparisons I could find and have been experimenting with BIRT for the past few weeks and I have noticed 2 things that give me some concern. Could someone please confirm or preferably deny these assumptions:
Firstly, whenever I come across something that I can not figure out myself and try to google the solution, I find pages that are mostly from 2007 or older - does this imply that things are very stable or that there is not much recent activity within the BIRT community?
Secondly, since the reports that I must generate are for management, they must have a very professional look and feel. I found that I can deliver on this requirement with something like excel with very little effort while I have spent a considerable amount of time trying to make my BIRT reports look good and they still look quite sloppy (btw I am a programmer, not a designer). Is this just me, or do I need to use something like the Actuate tools for my reports to get a more clean cut appearance?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Ernst
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
bappoo
Hi Ernst
I'd be interested to know what you mean by "sloppy" looking results. OK so you're a programmer so would not be the natural person to come up with a great looking design (I know coz I fall into that camp too), but you know what you are looking for because you have seen it before, right? So it appears that the question is what elements of previous reports have you not been able to re-produce with BIRT? I've seen some pretty fancy looking reports based solely on open source BIRT and of course if you move to the Actuate designer you can add in the Flash charts too. Can you expand on what particular report elements you are looking for?
And to get to your first question second (!) there is quite a lot of activity on BIRT-Exchange and BIRTReporting.com right now, but of course the early product issues are now solved and it is only really the new features and advanced stuff that (generally speaking) would be generating the majority of the new topics. Although, having said that we still get a lot of newbie traffic on BIRTReporting.com.
Warm regards
Paul
ehnolte
Hi Paul
Thanks for you answer. With regards to the sloppy table, I have the following:
I want to display the results of several queries in one table. Since I can only bind a single data set to a table element, I created a grid and inside the grid I dropped several tables each with their own data sets. Then I did the borders on the grid so things are neatly aligned and in report preview it looks fine, but when I export to PDF, borders are not always perfectly aligned so I get crossover lines on some corners and gaps at others.