Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Intelligence (Analytics)
HTML Render page size
aimpink
My primary output vehicle is HTML via Birt Web Viewer. My users would like everything on one (perhaps rather lengthy) page. Is there some kind of master page setting or scripting that would allow for an unlimited or dynamic page size for HTML output?
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
mwilliams
Hi aimpink,
You can set the page break interval value to a very large number and your viewer output should not page break unless you have other page breaks set. If you're just wanting to display the HTML output, why are you wanting it within the viewer?
aimpink
Hi Michael,
Thanks for the response.
I had found a script to set the page break interval, and I set it to something ridiculous. However, the page still breaks.
The code is in beforeFactory
myTable = reportContext.getReportRunnable().designHandle.getDesignHandle().findElement("myTable").setProperty("pageBreakInterval","2000");
Is there a better way to set it for the entire report?
In answer to your question, my users like the 'interactivity' features of the web viewer.
mwilliams
You shouldn't need the "myTable=" part of that, I don't think. You set the page break interval for list elements like tables and lists. You'd just need to select the table in your design, go to the property editor, go to the page break section, and set the interval there.
You also may make sure that your design layout is set to "Auto" rather than "Fixed". I don't know if this will change anything with HTML, but it might.
aimpink
Thanks for the help.
Yep, setting the page size to something outrageous makes it work. Since the reports are page-based, the web viewer shows a gigantic empty space below the content, but everything fits on the one, huge page.
My users can live with it like that... unless there's an easy way to shrink the page down to fit. (I'm not holding my breath on that one.)
Thanks again!
mwilliams
If there are no lines, I don't see why the report would make room available for those extra lines. Is your layout set to fixed or auto? Also, you might try making the page break interval just 0.
aimpink
Coolness... Almost there. It was set to Fixed, and setting it to Auto has definitely helped. I had to manually adjust the width settings of the contents, mostly grids containing grids and tables/charts.
I have one column in a table that is large, so it seems to be pushing the table/column width wide enough to accommodate the data. So, I'd like it to truncate or hide the extra that doesn't fit.
Also, setting the page height in the Master page (custom type) to zero seems to get rid of the extra vertical space.
mwilliams
When you say truncate or hide the extra that doesn't fit, are you talking about the text in the column? If so, you could just use the substring function to cut the text off where you'd like. Let me know if you meant something else.
aimpink
That's exactly what I mean...
Ideally, I would want the field content to wrap, rather than the column grow to accommodate it.
Substring would work. so... (newbie, remember?) where would I put that?
aimpink
Nevermind.. dynamic text...
Thanks for all your help. You rock, Michael!
mwilliams
What version of BIRT are you using? The column should wrap if you have a width set and there are line break characters within your field. You may have to set the width of the column for this to happen though.
If you do the substring to just cut off the text at a certain point, you could just put the substring function in the expression for the data element in your table or create a new binding that does the same and use it instead.
aimpink
We are using:
Actuate BIRT iServer version: 11 (Build 110B100926)
Actuate BIRT Designer Professional Version: 11.0.0 Build id: 20100926
mwilliams
There definitely should be text wrapping in that version. Do you not have any break characters in this large field you're having issues with?
aimpink
The field content is a long stream of text, including spaces, with no line breaks.
The curious thing is that once I changed the column from the row["Col"] value to a dynamic text which uses row["Col"], it wrapped. Maybe a bug... Maybe I'm buggy...
mwilliams
Hmmm. Weird, but if it works, it works!
Let me know if you have any other issues on this. Otherwise, let us know whenever you have questions!