Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Intelligence (Analytics)
Show series labels overlap
cdoniat
Hi everyone,
I attached an example of my issue. I'm displaying data in double stacked bar chart with its series labels on it.
When values are small, the series labels are overlapped on each others.
I'd like to be able to display series labels outside each bar like on its right side or left side or top side or bottom side. Is it possible to do that through the designer or not? or may be in javascript programming?
I've tried to cope with insets parameters of the series labels without success.
Let me know if someone tried to do this before,
Christophe
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
mwilliams
Hi Christophe,
Can you recreate this issue with the sample database so I can mess around with it? If there is nothing else that can be done, you could hide the labels of those bars and put them in a text box below the chart or something.
cdoniat
Hello Michael,
hum, I see, I've got short time to deal with each issue. So it's time-consuming to build a small database and I use stored procedures for data transformations. I can't put these labels outside the chart. Can I put a text area inside the chart?
Christophe
mwilliams
Christophe,
BIRT comes with a sample database. I meant that if you could recreate it with that, I could take a look and see if there was a way to space out the labels. You wouldn't have to build a database. I'll try to recreate it myself if you let me know your BIRT version.
cdoniat
Hi Michael,
I'm sorry, I misunderstood. The BIRT version I'm using is: 2.6.1 (last one).
Regards,
Christophe
mwilliams
Christophe,
A simple solution could be to add inset points to the top series' labels so that they are spaced out a little. You can use a small enough of an amount of inset spacing to clear the labels of each other and not make the labels that have plenty of space look out of place. Let me know if you have questions.
cdoniat
Hi Michael,
Thanks for this point of view. I-ve got the point. In each Format chart/serie value/label button, I change the state of the position for Outside state and it worked.
Regards,
Christophe
cdoniat
Michael,
BTW, what is the class of Format Chart/Series Label/Format/position? to be able to programmatically change the state 'inside/outside' if the value of the serie is less than 4?
Regards,
Christophe
mwilliams
Just to clarify, you want to know how to move the label from inside the bar to outside the bar if the series value is less than 4 on just that bar? Is this correct?
cdoniat
Hi Michael,
that's right.
Regards,
Christophe
mwilliams
Christophe,<br />
<br />
You set the label position in script with:<br />
<br />
<pre class='_prettyXprint _lang-auto _linenums:0'>
function beforeDrawSeries( series, isr, icsc )
{
series.setLabelPosition(series.getLabelPosition().INSIDE_LITERAL)
}
</pre>
<br />
I don't see a way to change this for an individual bar though. You'll probably just have to use the "inset" to move the label up when the value is less than 4.
cdoniat
Hi Michael,
Thanks a lot. I'll cope with it to adapt itself among cases.
Another question about palette and report items. Is someone make additional control like label or other controls.
I pointed out this for example:
http://code.google.com/a/eclipselabs.org/p/birt-controls-lib/
.
I was think about html control like combobox, button, calendar in javascript.
Let me know some clue about this if you have got.
Regards,
Christophe
mwilliams
Christophe,
You can search the marketplace on BIRT-Exchange for other element types like that. You can build your own html buttons, etc by using a text control with type HTML and using html script tags. Not sure if this answers your question or not.