Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Intelligence (Analytics)
Sorting on outer/inner tables
nikhil27
Hi,
I am trying to use birt for one of our project needs and I am stuck in one problem. Any pointers will be of great great help.
I will try to explain the problem using department -> employee tables.
Let's say there are three departments in the table.
Department Id| Department Name
d1 | Dept1
d2 | Dept2
d3 | Dept3
Let's say we have the following data in employee table.
Employee Name| Department Id
A | d1
C | d1
B | d2
D | d2
Z | d3
In our case we have to display the department and the corresponding employees in reports. In my case we can not join the tables as they are in two different databases and some how join is not allowed. I am trying to do it using inner tables. So I have one outer table that displays the department and the inner table displayes the empoyee. So the data would be somethinglike this
Dept1|A
Dept1|C
Dept2|B
Dept2|D
Dept3|Z
This works fine, but the requirement is that I have to display the data in ascending employee names irrespective of their departments. So basically I have to sort the complete data once the data is available. So the output would be something like the following.
Dept3|Z
Dept2|D
Dept1|C
Dept2|B
Dept1|A
Is it possible to sort the data in birt once all the data is available in birt.
How does the sorting works in BIRT. I can't use the employee as outer table due to some reasons.
Thanks,
Nikhil
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
thuston
Can you not use the BIRT Join dataset? It exists to join datasets from multiple database sources that cannot be joined using regular SQL.
If you cannot, then your request will not be possible.
The Employee would have to be the outer table if you wish to primary sort using its values.