Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
Administrative maintenance tips.
RichieRich
My question really in regard to what things should be automated to ensure all the log files are cleaned up, and trimmed down. There are some files which are rather large and I don't want to be going in every 10 days to echo > access_log or anything like this. Is there some configurations I can make that will tell Teamsite to keep what log files under a certain size?
Also can anyone come up with some common things that should be done on a daily basis?
-Thank you,
Richie Rich
-[ Richie Rich ]-
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
MattP
There are a few settings that may help. With any deployment, you have the option of verbose or normal logging. Obviously, normal logging will require less disk. In IW.cfg there are a few settings as well, the one I remember off hand is documented in the admin guide...
Page 100 Amdin Guide (win)
"Record full list of users and roles in trace log on startup—Lists all your TeamSite users
and their roles in the Trace log during startup.
Note: Be careful when using this feature. If it is left on for too long, your log files will
grow extremely large."
Hope this helps
Matt
Matthew Petitjean
BOC Group
Murray Hill, NJ 07974 USA
RichieRich
Does anyone have a posting of scripts written to maintain TS. I am going through the TS docs now to locate what things need to be done and I plan to write up bash scripts to automate this process via cron.
After digging around I notice that access_log will grow none stop and there is not configuration in the httpd.conf file to limit the size of this log file.
-[ Richie Rich ]-
Adam Stoller
At this point in time I think OpenDeploy and possibly DataDeploy are the only two Interwoven products that actually do logfile rotation. There are some open feature requests that you may wish to contact Interwoven Support to register interest in:
9809
It should be possible to rotate log files out, without stopping then restarting the server.
22933
Define event_log_size based on date instead of # of events.
(this is, [was?] a setting in iw.cfg - never tried it myself)
38781
request for formal documentation on how to roll logs
The problem right now, in the current system, is that you have to stop the various services in order to rotate the logs - and on Windows this usually means having to reboot in order to restart the services cleanly.
I believe 5.5.2 SP3 allows the services to be started without requiring a reboot - check the release notes to be sure though.
If you don't care about rolling the old logs out, I believe you can do something like:
echo >
logfile
on Unix, and something similar on windows - to essentially zero-out the files without moving them out of place (Caveat: I have not tried this method personally, so I strongly recommend testing to make sure that it has the desired effect - i.e. zeroing out the current log file and then allowing new data to be written to the logfile without stopping/restarting the services)
--fish
(Interwoven Senior Technical Consultant)
skip11
ok,I just tested it. by using "> access_log" I flattened the log and
then wrote to it successfully with the teamsite login.
Skip
RichieRich
I could easly do either a tail or a cat on the log file and then echo >access_log, but I would have to set this up on a cron job. It would be nice to configure Teamsite to roll files over at a certain size or on a timly basis and then clean up the old log file.
I just wanted to make sure I didn't over look a configuration somewhere in the documents.
Thanks,
-[ Richie Rich ]-
Migrateduser
This would be a nice feature, and as ghoti says, there are open feature requests for it. In the mean-time, for TeamSite, you have to write that cron job. regards,
lissa
gwen1
Since we do not want to delete our logs, implemented a script to rotate our logs (Solaris install). Runs once a week on a Saturday night. (not a heavy publishing time). It stops TeamSite, moves logs, starts TeamSite, checks via iwstat that all is well, gzips the files and moves them to another directory. Takes about 2 minutes. Prior to this we were having to schedule manual rotations at least once a month and the files were HUGE.
Gwen
Migrateduser
Based on what I've seen at other customer sites here's a list of things that would be good to run every day:
1. Backups - 'nuff said
2. Users Maintenance - Keep your UID files, UNIX groups and user accounts in sync
3. TeamSite Diagnostics - Not needed but it can be useful. This script produces info like hanging workflow jobs, etc. This script is available at
http://support.interwoven.com
4. You may want to keep track of all activity on the box for the day. This information can be found in the iwevents.log file and can prove invaluable when trying to tweak performance.